chapter 2 ~ i don't know you by the rose

"Do you want me, like I just wanna know you."

Another Sunday arrived, which meant another day where quite a few college students were cramming in all their assignments due that night, and the next morning. But, for others, it was just a regular Sunday for them as they followed their regular routine.

Kyungmi, being one of those students.

The sudden lost of sunlight caused her to look up. She instantly smiled at the familiar face across from her and pulled her earbuds out. "Hey, I almost thought you weren't coming."

"Ended up taking a nap longer than expected," he explained while taking his laptop out.

"Wouldn't it have just been easier to stay at home then?"

"Yeah, but one of my friends has his brother visiting and the whole place is just loud." Plus he wanted to try seeing her again, but didn't want to creep her out by saying that. "How'd your brother react though?"

"Protective," she chuckled and continued her worksheet. "He can be a little much sometimes, but I know it all comes from a good place."

Yeosang nodded, having a sister himself. She may be older, but he was (still is) extremely protective when it comes to her dating. "Is it just you two living together?"

"His boyfriend lives with us too. Our parents liked the idea of having someone responsible staying with us."

"Oh, that must be fun for you."

"You have no idea," she joked. "They're really not so bad though. I usually come here to give them time alone at home, which I think this space helps us from killing each other." With the problems solved, the worksheet was returned to her folder with other completed assignments as a text book took its spot on the table. "How'd that papers of yours go though?"

Yeosang's expression turned gloom with his worries over his grade returning. "I won't know until tomorrow, unfortunately."

"Oh. I didn't mean toㅡ"

"It's alright. Mr. Kim grades harshly. It's not your fault." Yeosang slumped in the seat, constant reminders he could've done better bouncing around in his head.

Kyungmi got up and walked away. That only made Yeosang even more disappointed with himself. Not only did he believe he failed his paper, but now failed at making a new friend.

He sighed and pulled out his readings for a separate class. He read over the section the professor had the class outline, and continued to reread it.

The 20-year-old couldn't focus though and ended up closing the laptop as another sigh left his mouth. Every word his eyes read went into his head but didn't stick due to his anxious thoughts.

Already choosing to take a break, Yeosang laid his head back and closed his eyes. He tried to allow the chatter of people nearby drown out the little voice in his head that told him all the ways he's messed up. It wasn't enough though.

"Hey." He jumped at the sound of her voice. Opening his eyes, shock filled them at her return. Not empty-handed though. "You alright?" She asked, sitting back in her seat.

"Yeah." He nodded once, fixing his posture as he nervously chuckled.

"I felt bad for ruining the mood so I thought maybe this could make up for it?" She slid the small plate with a chocolate brownie towards him. "I wasn't really sure what you liked but I do remember you enjoying this when I got it last week." Kyungmi briefly explained while pulling the sleeves of her sweater down, an anxious habit of hers.

Yeosang stared at the brownie, now feeling stupid for doubting the stranger. Stranger. He had to remind himself even if she did leave they were still strangers to each other.