prologue ~ blue by keshi

"Three hours, three months away. Going back but not the same."

"This song is so depressing."

"It helps her, Min."

"I know, I know." The younger sighed, rubbing his tired eyes in frustration.

A sad smile played on the other's lips as he gently played with Mingi's hair. His fingers brushed through the dark brown strands.

Laying between his legs, Mingi tilted his head back to look at Hongjoong. "Just the same song always repeating? The words are starting to get to me."

"I know, but you don't even know why she likes the song. And overthinking the reasons why she does won't help since you know she'll never share."

Mingi huffed and returned his gaze back to the wall across from them. He hated the fact Hongjoong was right. "I wish I knew what was going on inside of her head." The older Song sighed, feeling completely lost at the moment.

"Have you updated your parents yet?"

Mingi shook his head. "Tried calling yesterday, but they didn't answer. They didn't even try calling back today either. I'll probably try again tomorrow."

The older hummed in response. He looked around the room and noticed his boyfriend hadn't ate his dinner from earlier. Quietly, he removed himself from behind the younger and grabbed his keys.

"I'll be right back. Will you be okay?" Hongjoong, now only a few steps away from the door, questioned the other.

"Yeah. Just going to play some games." Mingi waved his unlocked phone, making the other lightly laugh.

Hongjoong walked back over. He kissed his boyfriend's cheek before whispering, "try not to worry so much. She's getting better, we just need to wait."

"No promises," the older Song mumbled as he searched his phone for a game.

Choosing not to argue with him, Hongjoong grabbed his jacket and left the room. The moment he was certain the older was gone, Mingi left his spot and moved to his sister's bedside.

With her hand in his, he stared at his sister for a few minutes. The past several months had been tough for the twins, but he remained strong for the both of them. Mingi didn't think he had much of a choice.

In his eyes, he needed to stay strong. He needed to take care of her and help her get back to the Kyungmi he once knew. And nothing Hongjoong told him could change his mind.

"I just wish you could've found someone who makes you happy, the way Hongjoong does me."

~❀~

San and Yunho had just left with Jongho, the older Choi having to bring his brother home for school the next day. That left Wooyoung alone with his unconscious best friend while awaiting for Seonghwa's return with some snacks.

With the remote in hand, he searched through the latest movies. None caught his eye though. He wasn't even in the mood for a movie, far too stressed by his friend's condition. But Wooyoung promised the other three he'd try not to worry any more that night. That's why he decided to choose a movie that would keep some of his attention.

Now he just needed to wait for the eldest.

Minutes passed and eventually, Wooyoung spotted the book on Yeosang's nightstand. He reached over and noticed it was actually a journal. One the younger was all too familiar with.

The cover decorated with black & white doodles, a few colored in.

It was the Yeosang's writing journal. The place he jotted down his many ideas for potential books. He had also kept note of important memories.

Wooyoung flipped through the pages, noticing the different colored page corners.

Pink.

Blue.

Green.

All pastel colors that matched Yeosang's bright & lively personality.

Wooyoung continued to flip through the pages until one in particular caught his eye.

A blue corner.

"Today's the day. I feel the universe is telling me to do this. Seonghwa did tell me to start trusting myself, but what if this leads me to the wrong place? What if this ends with me losing the one I've been afraid to lose since we met? Should I still take the risk? Is it worth losingㅡ"

Whatever was written next was crossed out by the older. Even if Wooyoung tried, there was no way he could decipher the words hidden beneath the harsh graphite layer.

He flipped to other pages with the same blue corner.

Every single page contained a memory with a specific person.

Wooyoung didn't know what he was expecting to see, but some reason within he never thought he'd see this. He went to a couple other pages with different colors.

All the green colored corners contained memories with the boys. Even past memories, like when Yeosang and Wooyoung had first met Yunho. And the time when the five boys threw an early surprise birthday party for the boy since San, Jongho and Seonghwa wouldn't be around to celebrate on his actual birthday.

The pink corners were where all his ideas were written.

Wooyoung never got around to seeing the lavender corners. Seonghwa ended up returning just as the younger was going to turn to one of the very few lavender pages.

"Should you really be going through that?"

Wooyoung placed the book back and frowned. "No."

"You know he'd flip if he caught you reading any of that."

"I just couldn't help myself!" Wooyoung tried arguing, frown still on full display.

"I get your concern, Woo. I truly do. Butㅡ" Seonghwa paused as he took off his jacket before sitting beside the younger. "Going through his stuff won't help this time. You just need to trust him."

The younger reluctantly nodded and took the bag of snacks. He didn't want to hear the same lecture that he's been hearing for months now. Wooyoung knew he had to wait, he just didn't want to.

He just wanted his best friend back.

Seonghwa looked over his friend, silently taking in his behavior. He wanted to help Wooyoung, but there wasn't anything either could do. Waiting really was their only option. "Honestly, what do you want for him?"

Wooyoung shrugged. "I don't know."

"Yes you do." Seonghwa saw the gears turning in the younger's head. So, he asked again. "Come on, what do you want for him?"

"I really don'tㅡ"

Seonghwa cut him off, choosing to rearrange the question. "If you could make one wish for him. What would you wish for him?"

When Wooyoung thought over this question, he wasn't trying to find a way to avoid the question. Instead, he genuinely thought of the question. Thought over what he truly wanted for his best friend.

And the answer was always the same no matter how he looked at it.

"The one. All I will ever wish for is my best friend's happiness and for him to find someone that'll bring that to him."