Chapter 9 - It wasn't his fault

Author's note: I sincerely apologize for the late publishing of this chapter. I had a stressful day and completely forgot about publishing it despite having set an alarm and having the time of publishing written on a calendar.

I stared at Bill through the darkness, flabbergasted at what he had just said. "What did they do?" I asked, moving away from him and sitting in front of him, wrapping the blanket tighter around myself. He was quiet, staring holes into the hardwood floor of my room as though his life depended on it. He opened his mouth to speak, but all I got was a huff before he closed it again. He snuck a glance at me, probably trying to read my quizzical expression, and I could see his eyes filled with angry tears. Though he quickly looked back down at the floor, trying hard to fight the emotions. He took a breath, then looked at me and smiled. "Don't worry about that, Pines. I need to know what else they said." Bill spoke, but I could hear it in his voice that he was still bothered by my question. I frowned, deciding that I couldn't just ignore it after everything he's done already. "They said that they were the mother of all lower demons and that they could see everything in every timeline simultaneously. " Bill nodded, his muscles tensing a little. "What else?" I nodded, "They said their name was Periculosus... and... uh... that they uphold the safety of humanity?" Bill chuckled dryly at that. "So, basically a saviour, huh?" He asked bitterly. "Well, I'll tell you one thing, Dipper, that being is not a saviour. They prey on innocent humans and take them away to the dreamscape. Then once you fully trust them, they take you to the council and they decide whether or not you're worthy enough to be a demon..." Bill trailed off, obviously remembering past events, "then they put you through tests and years of torture, only for you to be turned into a lower-class demon, doomed to serve them forever." Bill spat, his voice bitter and hateful, "Only the ones that fight get anywhere, and only the brave and spiteful ones survive long enough to move up ranks." Bill said, frowning. By now I had put two and two together, and I understood what Bill was saying.

"So that's what they did to you..." I muttered, and he looked like a deer in headlights. "Don't start with that pity shit, Dipper," Bill growled, glaring at me probably hoping the growl would scare me. "I'm not, you don't deserve pity," I assured, and Bill's expression faltering slightly, "But you at least deserve to have someone to talk to about it. " I said gently, Bill's expression of faltered anger turning to an upset frown. Bill was quiet,  and so I decided that I would ask first. "How old were you?" I asked, "When you were taken, I mean..." Bill bit his lip, taking an uncertain breath. He looked at me. "Why should I tell you?" I asked, his eyes narrowing. "Well, It's the least you could do. You know everything that happened to me, but I know near to nothing about what they did to you." I said. Bill thought for a moment, sighing. "Fine. I was... I was fourteen.." He said softly, fidgeting with the hem of his shirt as he glanced around. "Did you have any family?" I asked, and he nodded. "A brother. He... William was taken too. " Bill said softly, biting his lip harder. "When?" I urged, and Bill swallowed the lump in his throat shaking his head. he wasn't going to answer that. "When was the last time you saw him?" I urged. "I haven't seen him for years." Bill took a breath, "I could have, should have saved him..." Bill whispered, his voice pained. We were silent for a moment. "If you were fourteen when you were taken, in human years, how old would you be?" I asked, and Bill smiled sadly. 

"Twenty-five," Bill said, finally looking at me. My eyes widening slightly, "You mean- you're only four years older than I am?" I asked, horrified. He nodded, "That means when the incident happened you were..." I gasped quietly, feeling horrible, "Oh, Bill, you were only sixteen?" I asked, and he shook his head "My birthday is November second." He chuckled. "Ironic, ain't it?" "You... you were only fifteen... but, that's only two years after you got taken? I thought you said you fought and were tortured for years? Also, didn't you destroy an entire dimension?" I asked, thoroughly confused. "I was, and I did. Demon years go by way faster than human years. One minute for humans is an hour to us." He said. "Holy- so, one of our days is-" "1440 hours for us. Meaning that ONE of your days is 60 of ours." Bill said, his gaze once again bouncing around the room. "Oh, so six of our days is a year for you guys?" I asked, and Bill nodded. "One of your years is sixty years to demons, but thankfully I had a human watch and lots of replacement batteries, so I kept going by human years for my age. I couldn't let that go because my appearance only changes by human years. That's the only reason I'm not all wrinkly." He joked. I smiled apologetically as he frowned when I didn't laugh at his joke. We were silent for a while, Bill obviously very upset, however, I was selfish, and wanted more answers. "What's your rank?" I asked softly, and Bill knawed on his bottom lip. "You don't need to know." He said. I bit my lip, not really knowing what to say now. "After..." I trailed off, summoning the courage to say it despite my paranoia of the word, "after weirdmaggedon, what did they do?" I urged Bill, but I just upset him more. "I already told you before. Don't you listen?" He asked angrily. "Bill, please. What did they-" "Shut up!" Bill screamed, glaring at me with a rage that could make a king shrivel into a ball of fear.