Unplanned Confessions

A/n: Day 1 of Carulia Week!! - "confessions"

I wrote this in about half an hour after reading @bookreadingelephants fic on Ao3 for confessions. Also inspired by Luke and Lorelai's "get back together" kiss scene from Gilmore Girls.

~words: 508

...........

Carmen nervously ran her nails over the cuff of her jacket over and over as she stood before the imposing door, staring at the doorbell. She had been for the past ten minutes.

In reality, the door wasn't that imposing. It was just a regular wooden door. But what it separated her from was what made it seem like robbing England of its Crown Jewels. Nearly impossible.

Carmen shook her head. This was ridiculous. It was just an ordinary door. So she forced herself to push the small plastic button.

Rrrrring.

The doorbell sounded quite loudly throughout the otherwise quiet maple lined street and made her jump slightly, but luckily Carmen wasn't kept waiting long.

The door swung open to reveal Julia, dressed more casually than Carmen had ever seen her and bathed in the golden rays of the setting sun.

They stood staring at each other for a long moment. Their eyes met and Carmen could see the old turmoil and sadness mixed with shock swirling in Julia's deep brown eyes. Carmen tried not to think about why Julia seemed to have a permanent sad look about her, or about the last time she had been here, it had been far less pleasant but just as intense. The air seemed to be charged with electricity like it had been the day she left.

Finally Carmen couldn't take the tension any longer. She took a hesitant step forward.

Julia seemed to be caught off guard. She flinched and inched backward. "Carmen? What are you—"

But Carmen had had enough of the games they played. She didn't let Julia finish. "Something I should have done a long time ago," she growled.

Carmen rushed forward then as if pulled to her by a gravitational force and her lips crashed onto Julia's. She almost knocked her over with the force of it, before wrapping her arms around the smaller woman's waist and pulling her close, twisting so she took the brunt of the force when they hit the wall behind the door.

Carmen's body slammed into the wall and they broke apart, breathless from the intensity and the emotions conveyed from the kiss. Julia had wrapped her arms around Carmen's neck at some point during the exchange and when she realized, Carmen's lips curved into a small smile.

"Jules," she began tentatively. But this time, Julia was the one who wouldn't let her finish.

"What the hell was that Carmen?"

Carmen opened her mouth but no words came forth to explain. Her mind seemed to empty of all the explanations she had prepared on her way to Julia's house.

But she also hadn't planned on kissing Julia the second she opened the door either.

"Carmen?"

Carmen realized that Julia had been staring at her, waiting for an explanation. She had probably looked ridiculous with her mouth hanging half open, just staring into space.

"Jules, I..." How could she possibly explain this?

"I love you."

When she realized what she had said Carmen smiled, somewhat awkwardly. Well that was always an option.