Something Green and I do

"This should cover the bruises." Alexandria says quietly as she slides the concealer in my hand. I look into the mirror and begin applying it gently to the blue and purple bruising that reflects under my eye and lip. I always expected the day of my wedding to be like the movies, you know? I would be sending a gift to my soon-to-be husband, feeling butterflies in the pit of my stomach as I would be nervous, but far more excited- This is nothing like that. There are many people crossing my path today, however I feel alone.

"You're beautiful." Bianca, my childhood friend, says as she brushes the top of my hair back and pins it. She has a smile reflecting on her face that could light a room.

Bianca was always good to me growing up. Living as a child who had an addict for a mother and a father who worked alongside the mafia, things were anything but normal. Bianca had a normal life. She lived in a neighborhood where all the houses looked the same, she could play outside after dark without the fear of a bullet potentially striking her, she never had to worry about when her next meal would be, hell her family even hosted a fucking Christmas party annually that everyone in her neighborhood would go to. She did everything in her power to include me and make me feel normal as well. It means a lot to me to have her standing beside me today, though I know she doesn't agree with this lifestyle- She supports whatever I do.

"I can't believe you're marrying the Don, Kitten! You're so lucky! " Tabatha, one of the mafia member's wife, exclaims as she begins brushing blush onto my cheeks. I could live without her.

"Yeah, it's crazy." I respond with a forced smile.

"Hey my lovely." A gentle, familiar voice says from the doorway. I look over and I'm surprised to see Padre standing there holding an item of clothing on a rack- a suit or dress maybe. There's a zipped cover over it, so I can't make out what it is. "How are you angel?" He smiles softly.

"Padre, what are you doing here?" I can't resist returning the smile, as his calm, loving energy is infectious. He has on a dapper suit with a red tie that looks perfect against his olive skin tone. He looks well.

"I wanted to bring you this." He unzips the cover and reveals a beautiful, vintage wedding dress. I can see emotion sweep his face. He looks at the dress as if he's looking at a person. "It was my wife's- little Frankie's mother's dress." He says quietly before handing the dress over to me. I hear sighs behind me as the emotion is felt around the room.

"It's beautiful." I gaze at it, carefully rubbing my fingertips across the incredible beadwork. There is lace that is perfectly placed around the neckline that gives it a soft and romantic feel.

"It'd bring honor to our family and it would mean the world to me if you wore it today." He places his hand over mine. He scans the dress with delicate eyes, and I can see the memories reappear on his face. I look to him and he glances at me, anxiously awaiting a response.

"Of course I will." I nod and smile tenderly to him.

"My girl." He responds. He reaches up and grabs my chin. "My Frankie is a lucky man. You're good for him." He nods his head. "I'll see you shortly, angel." He pats the dress one last time, letting out a soft laugh before closing the door behind him.

I find myself holding the dress tightly to my chest as I stare at the wall, thinking of Padre and Mrs. Giuliani. A love like theirs was rare and unique. Mrs. Giuliani was the life of every party; she had a tender heart though she was also a leader amongst everyone. She adored her family, she was an incredible, amazing person. And Padre, Padre adored her, cherishing every moment he had with her. I envisioned Honey and my partnership would be like theirs.

"Everything okay, Kitten?" Alexandria asks, though I can tell by her expression she already knows the true answer. I nod to her.

"Of course. Let's get ready to go." I hang the dress above the window, as the women around me crowd around it, removing it off the rack carefully.