Return to the Heffleys

Roxanna:

------------------

It had been several days since Rodrick and my close encounter with Casey at the store. After a good 48 hours of paranoia and staying approximately 20 feet or more from Rodrick at all times, I'd decided Casey was none the wiser of our situation.

While keeping my distance from Rodrick, I'd noticed something entirely different. Staying away from him, I got to watch him more, and after observing him in the store, I realized how hard of a worker he truly was.

Rodrick got there almost always on time, took inventory frequently, kept on task, and took the initiative with helping around the store--basically the complete opposite from how he acted at school. He wasn't the best with customers, a little flippant and abrasive at times, but that of course, like everything, took time and practice.

He was really taking his job seriously, even Casey thought so. "He's definitely a keeper!" she beamed at me one day in the stockroom.

I couldn't help but admire his conscientiousness. It was...cute.

Being the naturally curious (and suspicious) person I am, I first questioned Rodrick's motives behind his extremely out of character, go-getter attitude at work.

"So...what are you really up to?" I questioned him a few days into my Rodrick field study.

Rodrick looked me up and down like I was covered in maple syrup and goose feathers.

"Huh? What do you mean?" he asked, completely bemuddled.

I leaned in, cocking my head forward. "Ya know. What's the real reason you're working so hard?"

Rodrick's eyes widened as they pinned on me for a second. Then, whatever brief glimpse of emotion shown in his eyes faded as his gaze narrowed on me. 

"Well, Roxanna, I know this must be a surprise to you, but I actually need this job," he said, a hint of edge in his voice, "Band equipment doesn't pay for itself."

Oh ya, I'd totally forgotten that he was in a band. Damn.

An anxious blush spread across my face. "Sorry, I didn't realize--"

"It's fine," he muttered, cutting me off.

We stood in silence for a moment, and from the wetness brimming my eyes, I realized I'd started to tear up. Embarrassment welled up inside me. 

How could I assume something like that of him when judgement and misconceptions were what I feared for so long from others?

I turned, the need to run away and cry tugging and twisting in my gut. Taking a step, I felt a hand clasp around my wrist. Wheeling around, my eyes met Rodrick's piercing gaze. 

"Roxanna," he spoke, and immediately I felt relief sweep through me. Reaching up with a stretched shirt sleeve, I swiped at a stray tear that was fighting to leak down my face.

Rodrick's face quirked up into a grin at the sight of it. "You're so dramatic sometimes," he chided jokingly. My only response was a punch to his arm.

"Rodrick, pass me those cassettes!...Come on, chop chop!...Get me the volume three album!...If we're gonna have this order ready by 3pm I need you to find me the..."

I whipped around, feeling the brush of warm air on my neck. "God, Rox. You're so sexy when you're being bossy," Rodrick spoke, shooting a hand through his messy hair.

I took a tentative step back, trying to make space between us. "Uh, thanks, but I'm sure there are far sexier things than me doing my job." 

I stepped to the side, slipping away from Rodrick and toward the stockroom. Speed walking through the doorway, I made my way over to the supply shelf and began rifling through papers on a clipboard, searching for an order form.