Chapter 18: Why

Closing the door behind him, Yeo-wool was very pleased with himself. 

First off, he was thrilled and relieved beyond words that his sister was well. He hadn't left her side, faithfully vowing to be with her when she'd wake. He knew she would wake. Despite any health issues she may have, his sister was strong. She had too much in this world to leave it. He knew she'd fight to come back and fight she did. 

She was awake now and he knew it wouldn't be long before she was back on her feet and holding her own against the Hwarang soldiers she trained daily. 

She had woke at the exact time Soo-ho had returned as well. 

As unplanned as that was, Yeo-wool couldn't help but feel like it was meant to happen that way... and who was he to stand in the way? 

Despite their rocky past, Yeo-wool wasn't stupid. He knew his sister deep, deep down still cared about his friend and that Soo-ho had begun to lose any sanity he had over Yu-ri. Maybe it was always meant to be? For goodness sake, he couldn't forget the fact they had a daughter between them... even if only one-half of the pair technically knew about that fact. While that alone didn't inherently mean they would be linked romantically, it was a strong bond that had been forged and could never be broken. Jin-a was the literal tangible/physical proof that something between them existed.

While he still shuddered to accept that particular fact even now, he truly thought that there was just something about them that worked somehow... but they clearly needed the push because they were both too stubborn and fearful to do anything about it anytime soon. So when Soo-ho walked in at that exact moment, wide-eyed with obvious relief and glowing with something else, he knew there was no better time than the present for that to happen. 

He walked smugly with purpose. He loved his sister more than anything else in the world and she deserved to be happy. If that meant his friend Soo-ho, then he would support it... even if he would have to torture them a bit along the way. 

For now, he'd give them a little time alone; he had to go and see his niece. 

Jin-a was currently with Ban-ryu and Soo Yeon who had offered to watch her occasionally as needed if ever Yeo-wool or their Aunt were with Yu-ri while she was recovering. He was so grateful that he had such a support group around him; friends that would stand by his side when things got difficult. He even thought that if it came down to it, the King would have offered to care for Jin-a himself if needed especially with how guilty the young king had expressed being after what happened. 

-

Sam Maek-Jong stood pacing the small room; Yu-ri's chest rising and falling as she slept unaware of the scene around her. 

The King couldn't bring himself to leave the young woman's side immediately after what occurred. Yu-ri shouldn't have taken that shot, a shot obviously meant for him... 

His guards and the Hwarang were on extra protective guard now and scouring the kingdom for clues as to who the mysterious assassin had been. But so far, there were no solid leads and that made him restless, not even for his own safety but for those around him. Those who, like Yu-ri, would apparently not think twice to step in front of harm's way for him. 

The action still had him shaken even now. 

"Yeo-wool... I cannot even begin to express how sorry I am for what happened. I never meant or expected for Yu-ri to be put in a position of danger..." He said truthfully, eyes meeting Yeo-wool's red-rimmed eyes. 

The brother nodded slowly, "I know... My sister is just like that... Selfless at heart. As much of a front as she might have up sometimes, she cares about people greatly."