Chapter 20: Proposal

-In the Palace-

The room was full of tense silence as one of the generals had placed an arrow on the table in front of the King. 

The arrow, now free from the shoulder of a young woman, was examined carefully until someone had recognized the craftsmanship behind the shape... 

The King's jaw clenched tightly as he took in the sight and let the words sink in from his trusted right hand. 

"Are you sure about this Moo Myung?" He asked, not looking up just yet from the weapon before him. 

The tall man nodded sternly, "Unfortunately I am. I've seen this type of arrow a handful of times, all revolving around the kingdom of Baekje..."

Everyone in the room knew the magnitude of what this could potentially mean. War with another kingdom was something they had avoided so far successfully and while Baekje had not been a friendly neighbor, they had no serious issues with them. So the being said, why? Why would the kingdom threaten war now? Were they still set on conquering them even now?

"Your Highness, attempting to murder you... that's a declaration of war!" 

The King in question still hadn't looked up, deep in thought. He was reliving the moment where they were attacked, playing it over and over again to flush out every single detail he could remember. He could still feel the worried gazes of both his friends, Moo Myung and Kim Soo-ho, over his shoulders. 

Kim Yu-ri walking beside him... Her stopping... Him falling backward while watching an arrow tear through her shoulder and then landing deep in the ground beside him...

He closed his eyes tightly. 

Something didn't add up... If it was indeed an assassin in broad daylight who had that open of a shot... he shouldn't have missed. Instead, the arrow had curved but very initially landed its mark... even if Yu-ri hadn't pushed him, it would have still hit her... which meant...

"The arrow wasn't meant for me," He whispered out loud.

Silence again. 

"What."

Kim Soo-ho'd demeanor instantly changed, from worried to suddenly enraged...

The King finally looked up, "The arrow was never meant for me. If it was, it would have made it. It didn't matter what Yu-ri did, she was meant... to get hit..." He finished his thought.

Impossible, Soo-ho thought... There was no way. There just wasn't. Why would the King of Baekje order that? What could he possibly want with Yu-ri?!

Recognizing the fire in Soo-ho's eyes and the tremble of his body, the King stepped closer, placing an arm on his shoulder. He knew of all of them, Soo-ho would take this news the hardest. It didn't take a genius to see there was more going on there than was outwardly spoken and he could understand exactly how angering it was to have your loved ones threatened, especially someone special. 

Kim Yu-ri was obviously special to Soo-ho. 

"If this is true, Kim Yu-ri is in danger even now..."

"Until we figure out what's going on fully, should we offer her some kind of protection?" 

"That's not even a question, of course, she'll be protected! How could you even question that?!"

"Soo-ho, please calm down. We're going to figure this out..."

The King was in a tough spot yet again... Of course, he'd protect her. Yu-ri was a friend, the sister of another friend, and one of his subjects. He owed it to her, especially after she was willing to sacrifice herself at the sight of danger for him. He'd have to give full protection, however. If this really was from the King of Baekje himself and he had already infiltrated their defenses once, then that ambitious man would stop at nothing to get his way.