Chapter 3

"Please don't joke, officer," I gritted with a clenched jaw. Anger surged through me dispersing the fear inside me. How dare he mock me with such news?

"It's not a joke Mrs. Sideris. Your husband is really alive," the officer replied removing his cap and holding under his arm.

"Please... you are mistaken," I whispered unwilling to believe it yet a small ray of hope lightened within me. What if it's true? Is Dante really alive?

I closed my eyes fearing the hope. After living for almost three years in a rundown apartment, working hand to mouth, I lost what it feels like to hope. Hope is dangerous... it can make or break you. For people like me, there is no room for hope.

"No mistake Mrs. Sideris. It is true. Mr. Dante Sideris is alive and he is on his way to meet you," the officer informed checking his watch.

I couldn't think... couldn't comprehend. For a minute, my world titled its axis. Dante... my Dante is alive.

"Oh my god!" I gasped, covering my mouth with my hands, finally grasping what it means.

The next thing I know blackness engulfed me, threatening to slip my grip on reality. My knees wobbled unable to support my weight any longer. All the blood left my brain. I gasped once again, trying to calm my breathing. My hands shook, my vision blurred, darkness surrounded me.

Before I could crumble like a leaf on the floor, the officer clasped his hand around my arm, supporting me.

He then slowly pushed me on my feet and entered my home without permission. He stood shock still looking at the inside of my home.

His grip didn't slack as he turned and gently took me to the bed. A frown appeared between his eyebrows looking at the baby Alan who slept peacefully through this ordeal.

He shifted slightly, his aloofness crumbling as he said, "does Mr. Sideris know about the baby?"

"I-," I swayed on my feet.

"Of course. What was I thinking! Please sit down. Do you need something? Water perhaps?" The officer asked concern laced in his voice.

"No. No thank you. I will be fine in a minute," I responded as I gulped lung full of air. I bent down, my face between my legs. My brain is in no condition to dissect the news. It has shattered my little world and glued together haphazardly.

I must feel elated. Happy, that my husband, the love of my life, Dante is alive. But a bone-chilling numbness took hold of me.

A darker side of me started pointing out-

Why didn't he contact till now if he is alive? Where was he for these years? How could he forget about me? Does I matter so less to him? Was my love not enough?

Not a single word passed through my lips though. I swerved the darker thoughts to the back of my mind. This is not the time to doubt his motives, this time is to be happy. Perhaps he has a reason to stay away.

After several minutes where I took long breathes to stop my shivers, I faced the officer who stood on the side awkwardly, shuffling his legs.

"Shall I call the medic?" The officer questioned sweeping the sweat on his brow.

"No. I'm fine now. Please sit down. Where are my manners! Would you like a cup of coffee officer?" I queried though in the inside I prayed that there is enough left in the jar to make a cup of instant coffee. Coffee became a luxury. I could only afford those cheap instant coffee satchels that has no aroma.