Chapter 5

My throat failed to work before his magnificent stare. A red hue marred my cheeks. Bending my head, I tucked a loose strand behind my ear with my left hand.

I can't help this feeling; that I'd somehow spent my entire life drifting toward this single moment. The sensation punches the breath out of my lungs and sets my heart racing

My reaction may sound extreme to some. Some may even say I was just attracted to the outer gloss. Though it might be the case, one would know when you lay eyes upon your soulmate. Like he is the one made only for you and you for him. The perfect piece of the puzzle that fits. Nothing matters. Everyone looks blurry before him. I felt like that with this guy.

"I... I...", I stammered like a fool.

Sensing my shyness, his demeanour changed subtly. Gone was the casual indifference. He leaned forward as if a cheetah sensing its prey. Perhaps I'm his prey and he is the predator.

He projects a normal air of confidence around him that comes only with money. His eyes took me in from top to bottom in leisure, waiting at certain places that made me hard to breath.

His gaze then stopped at my chest. With a frown I looked down and gasped at the pebbled nipples that are poking my shirt.

A slow smirk spread across his face as if he liked what he saw. With a sharp focus, he asked, "what's your name, beautiful?"

I know it's a common pickup line, that has been used many... many times on me. Though it's an upscale restaurant, men are all the same.  And I always give a smile that I was not feeling and gently let them down.

But for the first time, I want to know how it would be if I replied in favour? Alas, the words stuck in my throat and wouldn't come out. All those come-hither looks that other waitresses have mastered as if they have gone to a common school, eluded me.

"Umm... ," my voice failed to cooperate. With great effort, I tried again after wetting my lips. His gaze zeroed on my lips as I said, "Natalie."

"Natalie... a beautiful name. Well Natalie, what would you recommend? Tell me your poison.... no not poison, your taste. Tell me what you like."

The guy asked with a penetrating gaze. His words might have meant regarding the lunch but the way he said made me tingle all over. An experience that is new to me. New but not unwelcome.

"I... I...," I stuttered like a dumb fool. I couldn't help it. A guy like him is noticing me. Now I know how it feels to get tongue-tied.

My stammering didn't deter him a bit. His eyes roved from my hair to my neck as he pressed, "well?"

A sudden noise in the background made me shed my musings, bringing everything into focus. It felt like I was doused in cold, chill water. Get a grip Natalie. I mentally chastised. Thank god, the manager is not close to witness my near disaster.

If he learnt that I couldn't answer a simple question to recommend something from the menu, I might as well stamp fired on my forehead.

I quickly scanned for the manager or any "smart" customers who like to snitch on waitresses. Thank god, no one was paying attention.

Strange, I felt like I was in a bubble with this guy for decades while it's only been a few seconds.

I straightened, cloaking myself in the professionalism I was known here for and with a serene plastic smile I answered, "everything is great on our menu sir. Perhaps , you would like to taste our chef's special?"

My changed demeanour didn't go unnoticed. He too sat straight, dropping his leisurely pose. Before his eyes were scrutinising me, now they are penetrating, probing, checking for my defences.