Chapter 9: Sickness

I groaned as the light hit my eye lids. I. Felt. Awful.

I attempted to sit up, which only resulted in something resembling whip flash. My necked itched and throbbed. And every time I tried to take a breath, it resulted in a low wheezing sound. After testing my voice, which produced a similar sound, I picked up my phone and texted John.

I'm dying.

I heard a groan from the room over and the squeak of bed springs. At least my hearing still works. I thought. John's footsteps echoed from the hallway. I could hear him getting closer. He opened my door, standing there in a red robe.

"What's wro- Oh my gosh!" He rushed to my bed side, and started giving me various doctor orders. Such as: Move this limb, open your mouth, stick out your tongue, open your right eye... Your other right. After a while of him poking and prodding, he sighed. "You have strep throat." I scowled at him, knowing that I didn't not have to move my limbs for that. He responded to my expression with a 'stretching is good for sickness' speech. During his speech, my scowl be came a look of panic.

"What's wrong?" He questioned. "This isn't that scary..."

"Jamie," I managed to croak out. My little brother was supposed to be visiting me today, while on his way to our grandparents. I can't be sick! I can't miss this! I thought. I may not miss my parents, but I really missed my little brother. Realization dawned on his face. He rubbed his temples and sighed.

"I'll go get some antibiotics in a bit. Just try to get some rest. You won't be better but tonight, so maybe he can visit on the way back instead." I nodded weakly, and listened for the door shut behind him. When I heard the click of the door, I curled into a ball and whimpered.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Over the course of the next several hours, I drifted in and out of a dreamless sleep. I vaguely remember drinking lots of water and not being able to eat anything more than yogurt. I must have turned on the television at some point, because the theme song of the best show in the world pulled my out of half unconsciousness. Wrapping myself in my blanket, I sat in front of the television to absorb the beauty of Doctor Who.

About halfway through the episode, my cellphone started to sound off.

Carry on my wayward son

There'll be peace when you are done

Lay your weary head to rest

Don't yo-

I pushed the answer button, and Leo's eager voice came through. Apparently he was watching the Doctor Who episode as well. He ranted for quite a bit, about everything from the emotions to the shoe that was left in the background on accident. After a bit, he realized I hadn't said anything.

"Uh... Clarity? Are you okay?" His voice sounded concerned. It took me a moment to get the words out, but I still replied.

"Sick. Brother's supposed visit. Sad." It may not have been a coherent sentence, but he got the point.

"Oh no! What's wrong?" I tried to mumble something as a response, but just wheezed into the receiver. "Ah, how about you text me instead?" I nodded, but upon realizing he couldn't see me, grunted as an affirmative. After ending the call, I quickly texted him about my strep throat and some of my systems. He didn't respond for a while, but when he finally did, he said brt.

Wait. No. Leo, you'll get sick.

He didn't respond to this text.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After an hour or so, he arrived up the flat and came straight up to my room. He had two bags. One looked like the antibiotics John had said he'd get me. The other held hot soup, bread, and crackers. Along with mint, lemon, and Earl Grey tea.

"You didn't ha-" I was immediately shushed by Leo.

"I already did. So, let me take care of you." I shook my head.

"You'll get sick." I croaked.

"Maybe I will. Maybe I won't. It hasn't happened yet, so let's focus on what's happening right now. Okay?" After a moment of hesitation, I nodded. "Great. Then lets start with some soup and your medication.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

He spent the rest of the day with me. Taking care of me, really. I felt like a child. And to be honest, at the end of the day, I didn't feel much better. But that's to be expected, since this is day one of my officially having strep throat.

Leo had dozed off about an hour before. I lay in my bed. Listening for what was bound to come. Knock. Knock. Knock.

Like I said. It's the end of the day. My brother was here. Leo stirred slightly. I peeled myself from the bed.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Mrs. Hudson opened the door. The I couldn't hear what was being said, I could tell who it was. My brother was here. Jamie was here.

My head spun. I couldn't see straight. Still, I needed to go downstairs. I needed to see him. I dragged my feet across my room floor and out into the hallway. "Clarity! Don't!" I heard Leo's worried voice behind me. I turned my head towards the now awake boy, and smiled weakly.

"I'm fine." My voice came out raspy and low. But I didn't care. I need to get down there. I need to see him. My thoughts repeated those two sentences, over and over again. I need to get down there. I need to see him. I need to get down there. I need to see him. I need to get down there. I need to see him. I need to get down there. I need to-

Leo pulled me out of my thoughts again, just before I reached the stairs. "Clarity. Don't." His voice was more stern this time. "Get back in bed. I'm doing this because I care." I panted, the world buzzed, I started seeing black and purple spots. Despite all this, I turned back to him again, weak in the knees. He stood directly behind me. His expression showed his anger, worry, and frustration with me. I hated that face. I don't want to see that face.

"I'm fi-" I had started to reassure him again, but I felt the ground leave my feet. I saw the wooden stairs come closer and closer then...

CRACK

My head hit the stairs, and the world went black.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I remember darkness. I remember being lifted. I remember the feeling of someone's arms wrapped around me. I remember two men yelling. But worst of all was the scream. His scream. I remember his loud, piercing scream that head reached me through the darkness. It was loud, and clear, while all other sounds and feelings had been muffled. Even in a world of black, my sweet little brother's voice reached out to me, trying to desperately root me to his world. And I reached back.

I won't leave you. I promise.