Chapter 4 - Angela

The lawyer chose that moment to interrupt them, pushing Derrick to answer if he would try to fulfill the will or give in to the break up of his family estate before his eyes. Rather than answer, he turned to her brothers and asked them about her feelings. The snub stung, given how close they had once been, but the last decade had changed her; she doubted he had remained the same either. Time to find out for certain.

When her brothers hesitated, shifting nervously, she spoke up, "I did not know about the details of the addendum to the will, if that is what you are asking."

She softened her abrasive tone at his troubled expression. "As for my wishes, I have no objections. I am no longer a young debutante, and my prospects for marriage are poor. In addition, my health is fragile, so an arranged marriage with few expectations of romantic entanglement is not unacceptable."

Needing to make this reunion more personal, she added in a whisper, "This is quite awkward, my lord, but it need not be unpleasant for either one of us. We were friends, once."

Uncertainty still radiated from Derrick, so she tapped Robert's hand, swiping her finger up a little on the last touch, hoping he understood. With only a slight hesitation, he reached for the edge of the veil at the level of her shoulder and lifted it with care, pulling it over her head before relaxing his arm to his side again. Theo needed no prompting to mirror his older brother's action on her other side.

She had hoped to see some pleasure mixed with the surprise of her revealed identity on Derrick's countenance, but it was in vain. His face went a little slack, then turned to stone, even as soft gasps echoed from the other observers. She well remembered that look and knew he would conceal his true emotions until he could sort them out alone. At least he had not screamed as though he were horrified or frightened by her appearance. Such a reaction would have dealt her heart a heavy blow, even after their long separation.

She tapped Robert's hand again, and he turned to face her, releasing his hold so both hands were free to replace her veil. Theo echoed the movement himself, and suddenly she was standing alone. It took all of her concentration to not sway, every muscle in her body tight with the effort. An exhalation of relief escaped her lips when Robert's warm arm returned to her waist and Theo's hand squeezed her shoulder.

The lawyer cleared his throat yet again, and Angie wondered if he needed a sip of water. He said something Angie didn't hear, distracted as she was by Robert and Theo guiding her back down to a seated position. Whatever it was, Derrick nodded absently, still gazing intently at her face, even though the veil hid it from him now. Another long moment passed before he blinked a few times and turned toward the solicitor.

Only then did he realize he still cradled Angela's delicate hand in his own, and for a breath she wondered if he would let go or cling to it for a while longer. He dropped his gaze to their stacked fingers and stared for nearly the count of five before lowering them gently to her lap, only sliding his hand away when his knuckles brushed ever so lightly against the fabric of her skirt.

The warmth and tingling that accompanied his touch ceased immediately, and she swayed slightly in her seat at the loss. Her weakness was met with tension and flexing muscles in the arms supporting her, and she gave each of her brothers a grateful smile before leaning her head on Theo's shoulder. Assured that she was all right, they eased their holds, and she settled back into the padding on the back of the chair to watch the rest of the proceedings.

In the end, nothing much more happened. Derrick confirmed his willingness to attempt the mentioned conditions and requested a copy of the will be sent to him post haste before leaving without another word or glance in her direction. The lawyer finished formalizing terms with those left in the room and dismissed the group, promising to be in touch with more information as needed.