II. Good Times Bad Times

J U N E 1 9 7 6

.・。.・゜✭・.・✧・゜・。.

LILY HAD MOSTLY calmed down from the stress and nerves of her O.W.L.s by the end of the term. Although she would still occasionally ruminate on things that had happened in the practical portion of her exams. Like how she nearly forgot to stir her potion three times counter clockwise and Merlin forbid the grade she would receive if that had happened.

Clara had made a firm rule to Lily that morning at breakfast that there was to be absolutely no talk of any exams on the train ride home. What happened at Hogwarts, stayed at Hogwarts. And though Lily had the urge to discuss her thoughts on other portions of the exam, she bit her tongue to keep her friend happy.

Luckily she, Marlene, and Clara were early enough to the train to snag a compartment to themselves. Thankfully they weren't held back too long by Marlene's horrible habit of sleeping in. Clara had clearly nagged her enough to make sure she was completely packed the night before so even if she had slept through breakfast (which she unsurprisingly did) at least she wouldn't be too late to the train.

"I think this is the first trip back we haven't had to sit with any random second or third years on the way home." Marlene quipped as they entered their compartment.

"Do you think I should lock the door so no one can open it to ask if there's any space to join us?" Clara joked.

"That would be rude." Lily frowned.

"Awe, you're the best of us, Lil. Truly." Marlene smirked.

Students filed through the train one by one, occasionally glancing into the girls' compartment to see if there was any extra room. Though she wasn't doing it intentionally, Clara frowned at anyone whose eyes lingered a little too long on their compartment for her liking.

The sharp features she had inherited from her mother made her face naturally a little bit more stern and uninviting. It was a fact she used to detest, but found increasingly useful as she got older. She liked being taken more seriously, and while her unruly wavy black hair and hazel eyes gave her away as a Potter, her demeanour made her stand out as an individual compared to her wild younger brother.

When people heard the name 'Potter' they had to hold their breath waiting to see which one was being referred to.

Was it the fun, yet chaotic younger boy? Who was kind and trustworthy, brave and chivalrous. A true Gryffindor, a true menace, and a true honest-to-goodness friend.

Or was it the intelligent, yet serious older girl? Who was studious and honest, ambitious and protective. An enigma to house stereotypes, the spitting image of Euphemia, and a true honest-to-goodness fighter for what she believed in.

Eventually fewer students started walking by and the whistle of the train indicated it was nearly time to depart. Clara let out a sigh of relief as she felt the jolt of the train beginning its departure from Hogsmeade station. She relaxed into her seat next to Marlene and gazed out the window, watching the castle shrink in the distance. But the sudden sound of the blonde witch's stomach rumbling filled the compartment causing the three girls to burst into laughter.

"That's what you get for sleeping through breakfast again." Clara teased as she nudged Marlene's shoulder.

Marlene rolled her eyes before responding, "I just hope the snack trolley comes by soon."