VIII. Midnight Blue

S E P T E M B E R  1 9 7 6

.・。.・゜✭・.・✧・゜・。.

LATER THAT NIGHT, long after every other Gryffindor student had gone to bed, Clara was still wide awake. The girl found herself wrapped in a blanket, studying by candlelight on one of the plush velvet couches in the common room.

During her free period that day, she had swung by the Hospital Wing to pick up some extra reading materials from Madam Pomfrey. The second the books left the Healer's grasp, the witch was quick as always to shoo Clara away. It wasn't that she disliked the student's company, it was simply so she could focus all of her attention on the only patient that had managed to be unlucky enough to land themselves in the Hospital Wing on the first day of term.

Despite the quick dismissal, Clara knew Madam Pompey really did take quite a liking to her and had somewhat taken her under her wing over the years. If she was lucky enough to be able to start training at St. Mungo's next June, Clara would definitely have Poppy Pomfrey to thank for that. But even so, patients always came first to the healer. All of Clara's curious questions and seeking of advice would have to come later.

The girl always had to work around Madam Pomfrey's schedule, so she had quickly learned to avoid seeking her out after Quidditch games or on weekends when students tended to be much more rowdy. Tuesdays and Thursdays were also out of the question since at least one student in Care of Magical Creatures class came to her with some sort of burn or bite. That's why Clara thought maybe seeing her on the first day of term would have been the best bet, but clearly not. At least she was able to get the books she wanted from her.

At around quarter to midnight, just as Clara was reading up on the mortality rate of Dragon Pox, the portrait leading into the common room swung open. The creaking sound of the hinges caused Clara to jump slightly. Out of instinct, she immediately grabbed her wand and cast lumos towards the mystery person.

"Easy there, tiger." a familiar voice spoke from the portrait hole.

Sirius emerged a moment later, his features lit up only by the dim light coming from the end of Clara's wand. After rolling her eyes she muttered nox and lowered it once more. Cast aside on the couch, Clara took her attention away from her wand and focused once more on the book in her lap. But instead of making his way up to the boy's dorms, Sirius decided to take a seat beside Clara, earning him an annoyed grumble from the girl.

"Don't tell me you're studying on the first day of term. And here I was thinking you couldn't possibly get any more uptight."

"It's not coursework, it's just extra reading. At least I didn't get detention on the first day." she dismissed, hoping Sirius would be bored enough by the conversation to leave her alone.

"Maybe I wouldn't have gotten detention if you had just said you loved me back. You can be so stubborn, you know." he taunted as he leaned over her shoulder, peering at the page.

Clara quickly snapped the book shut and turned to face him with a scowl. Even though the only light in the room was from a few nearby candles, the orange glow on her face seemed to be just enough for Sirius to notice her reaction. A smirk formed on his lips as he leaned back slightly.

"What are you hiding? Not reading a muggle romance novel are you?" he asked, wiggling his brows.

"If you must know, Madam Pomfrey lent me a few books she thinks will help me after this year."