The little Bunny

In a small cottage deep in the fairy woods houses a bunny boy. His name is Fern. He has short white blonde fluffy hair, long white bunny ears sitting atop of his head and a matching cotton tail. His older sister makes him flower crowns so he always has one on. Fern gets hurt so he carries bandages around with him. His grandma makes his clothes so they don't have to spend more money. When he was little he didn't really wear anything because they didn't want to pay for clothes when they didn't need to. Even though he plays in the sun and stays outside, he is a very pale and skinny boy. Fern is 17, his grandma is 90, and his sister is 29 years old.

Fern steps out into the flower garden behind his grandma's cottage taking in all the pollen. He sits down and stretches his legs. Fern spreads his toes and basks in the sunlight. A few blue and yellow colored birds fly overhead. The fairies from the forest come out to the garden to greet Fern a good morning.

"Well, hello Fern! What a nice morning isn't it?" a beautiful faced darker skin colored fairy greets him. Her black braided hair tied into a bow upon her head.

"Good morning to you too Leona!" Fern cheers back, a big smile spreading across his face with dimples showing.

She goes to collect the things from the cottage to help her way of life in the forest. They usually take loose thread, fabric, fallen flowers, berries, vegetables, and other small things they can carry. In return for being nice and helpful, the fairies give the 3 rabbits safe protection inside the woods from anyone that wanders in. They are one of the only rabbit families left. Even though when rabbits mate and they create around 5-12 children, there are hunters that kill themto feed on. The hunters consist of wolf human, owl human, dog human, and cat human. In this world, humans had to merge with an animal to survive the new changes of the world. Most fused with their pets, some fused with the nearest animal. They don't have specific names so they just have their animal then the word human after. The humans that didn't merge.. Well.. let's just say that they don't exist anymore. There are no more regular humans. But this change happened a millennia ago. It was just a decade where animal humans were going feral, praying on their food.

Fern's sister joins him and lies down in the grass. She's chewing on a piece of celery she picked from the garden. Her hair is almost the same white blonde as Fern but it's darker. It's length goes down to her butt. Right now it's up in a braid crown and flowers are weaved through it. Her long bunny ears get pinker in the sunlight. The white satin cloth she is wearing flows over her shape elegantly. The fairies have gifted her with a gorgeous body. She is bigger than Fern.

"Hey Myla?" Fern refers to his older sister.

"Yes Fern? Do you need anything?" She looks over at him.

"I've just been wondering if we ever will find love like our grand-parents and their parents before.." He drifts off into a daydream thinking about him and another person loving each other and having picnics.

"I'm not sure. I haven't seen anyone else that looks like us except in the books. Some even have different ears than us." She fidgets with her fingers. "Grandma and the fairies wont let us go out of the forest to see if there is anything out there." Fern gets up and takes his sister's hand. He smiles at her and lifts her up, her doing all the work obviously.

"Lets go climb some trees." She smiles back and says, "Okay, race ya." Myla takes off and climbs up a tall tree. Fern laughs and follows her up the tree. They hop through the trees and reach the tallest tree and climb to the top. They laugh with each other and try to push each other off. After a while Myla goes down and runs back home.

Fern stays up and night comes. The stars lighten up the dark sky, the moon illuminates the trees and the fireflies come out. The soft light fills Fern's eyes making them sparkle. He then sees sparks from a flame coming from beyond the forest. He jumps through the trees following where it is coming from. He reaches the end of the forest for the first time in his life. His eyes become wide with amazement. A large city with people on top of buildings sitting around fires. They are different from him. They have wings and different ears and tails. His puffy shorts get cut from the branches as he climbs down the scraggly trees. His legs get cut too and he bleeds. He winces in pain and holds the wound. He's surprised and wipes it on the dirt below him. His pink pale and lacy shirt is now dirty and wrinkled. He climbs the rocks down to the city below.