Dress Up

Fern gains consciousness and curls into a ball under the covers. He whines and flares his nostrils. A large arm comes from behind him and holds him tight. He can hear quiet shushing from behind him and he calms down.

"Everything is going to be ok. You aren't going to get hurt." Andre whispers.

"Tha-tank yu." Fern stutters out, surprised at how bayish he said it. Andre blushes at the words and holds him tight. The boy's tummy rumbles and he holds it.

"I heard that. Good thing I brought yous food." He gets up and the cold air washes onto Fern's skin where Andre's touch was. He pouts. Andre opens up a dirty silver matte fridge and gets out celery and carrots.

"This is what bunnies eat, right?" Fern stares and then starts laughing. Andre sweats and stutters in embarrassment.

"I am also human, I eat other things than just carrots and celery! I also eat pie, berries, apples, peaches, mangos, strawberries and on rare occasions, I can eat steak or bacon." He explains.

"That's good to know, so um," He holds the vegetables up. "Do I make yous a meal with these or do you just want them raw?" Fern smiles again. Andre blushes at the smile and can't help but smile back. His canines flash and Fern looks away. Oh right. Andre closes his mouth and heads to the worn stove. He takes out a pan and turns the burner on medium. He cuts oop the carrots and celery. He opens up a cabinet on the wall above him and takes out a bag of rice. He puts it in a bowl and mixes a sauce in it. He tosses it into the pan with the veggies and mixes it up along with some cracked eggs. In a separate pan, he cooks some chicken pieces. The actual animal, not the merged human.

It smells really good and Fern's stomach grumbles even more. Andre doesn't cook much here because it could attract the other wolves because of the delicious smell of food. He is one of the only people in the pack that can cook well. The others are his brother, some of his brother's friends, and the older ones. He finishes the dish and puts it in a small cup for Fern and hands it to him with a spoon. Andre takes his share and puts the chicken in his.

"It's called fried rice. Much better with soup but I don't have the ingredients for that right now." He taps his bowl on Ferns and eats up. Fern hesitantly holds the spoon before his mouth. Andre notices and asks without thinking, "Want me to feed you?" They are both surprised. Fern slowly puts the spoon back into the bowl and hands it to Andre. Andre blushes and takes it from him. He scoops up the rice and holds it out to Fern. Fern opens his mouth and closes his eyes. Andre puts the spoon in his mouth and Fern bites down; he moans in response to how good the food tastes. Andre smiles.

"Tastes good huh?" He puts another spoonful in Fern's mouth. Fern nods with a closed smile. After they eat, they go and wash up. Andre is surprised that Fern's scent is still kind of strong and noticeable. Fern starts undressing and Andre covers his eyes. Fern gets confused.

"Everything okay? Something wrong with your face?" Fern's voice is concerned. Andre takes his hand off of his face.

"Uh, yeah everything's good. Just that- why are yous not covering your body from me? I don't know you that well. It's kind of weird to undress in front of someone you don't know that well." Fern is still confused.

"There's nothing wrong with my body.. Is there?" He spins around and checks his body to check. Andre blushes more.

"No, no! There's nothing wrong with your body! Ac-actually.." Andre's eyes get darker and he smiles, "You're lookin mighty tasty, Bunny." Fern gets scared and shrinks back, putting the jacket back on and rubbing it over himself. Andre shakes his head and shrinks back too.

"I-I I'm sorry Fern. Let's just get yous washed up, please." Fern takes off the jacket, gets in, and sinks into the water. Andre washes his body again. Fern thinks about his family back in the forest. He wonders when or if he can go back. 

"Andre?" He asks but doesn't wait for an answer. "When can I go back to my family?" Fern looks up at the man.

"I don't know Fern. It was a miracle that most wolves were not in the altar when I brought you in." Fern goes back to that night.

"Are you going to sell me?" He splashes the soapy water. Andre freezes.

"No. I'm not going to sell you. I will try to find a way to get you out in one piece and alive. I promise." Andre strokes his cheek and continues to wash him. After Fern gets dry and Andre pulls out a bag. He hands him soft-colored clothes but they aren't as colorful as the ones Fern usually wears.

"I got you some clothes. It seemed like you liked the soft colors. These were the ones I could find that fit you." Fern's eyes light up. He grabs the bag and puts the clothes on. It is a white shirt with a cherry on it, light pink pleated shorts, white thigh-high socks, and black bulky platforms. The platforms are just in case something is on the floor. Fern puts on the platforms and he is still smaller than Andre. Andre chuckles and Fern pouts.