Chapter 20: Torn Mask

"Lily?" Charles woke Lily gently as they have arrived to his apartment.
"Wow.. it's nice" she looked around.
The place was definitely home feeling one can say.
"You have a nice home" she says as she sees his childhood pictures.
"It's not much but it's okay" he shyly says.

"Thank you.. Charles" she smiles.
"no problem.. it's my pleasure to help"
"so uh.. how many rooms to you have here?" She wonders.
"I have my room, simulator room and here"
"Do you have extra blankets?"
"Uh.. yeah I think" he scratches his head and went to get them and hands it to her.
"I can sleep here" He says.
"Don't be ridiculous. Sleep on your bed Charles. I'm fine here plus your couch is unusually big" she cracks a smile.
"You sure? You can tell me if you change your mind" He retreats but still offers.
"I'm sure on this one" she chuckles.

The night went smoothly.
Lily fell asleep and Charles watched over her before going to bed too.

This morning seemed different for Charles.
It was the first time he smelled breakfast in the longest time. He smiles as he makes his bed.
"Good you're awake" Lily was cooking probably some eggs and bacon.
"I hope you don't mind. I went through what's left here and cooked this" She says as she makes the sandwich.
"You can cook whatever you like" He says as he sits on the table.
"It's been awhile since I heard someone cook" he says.
"What are you talking about" she chuckles and places the food on the table.
They sat there quietly eating.

Charles looked at Lily and noticed she put her hair up in a ponytail. It's his first time seeing this.

"You.. seem different" Charles said.
"I recover fast when I want to" she smiles

Somehow he is not convinced. It feels as if it was a mask she made instantly.

"I need to be strong no? It's gonna take a lot of time to figure out how I'll be doing a good job for you and Ferrari" She says as she eats her sandwich

He let it go. Maybe it was for the best. Eventually he thought he can make her smile again. Her true smile.

"So what do you usually do?"
"For me.. it's usually training, simulator and food.. sometimes I play with Pierre, Lando or George. We go out for activities too.. there are couple of meetings here and there"
"How about on race days?"
"It is quite hectic but it's all meetings, interview then simulator on the side. Training is quite light because I do often go to the gym"
"So everyone's schedule is almost the same?"
"Well not really. Pierre gains weight fast so he has different training. George practically lives in the gym.. Lando since he's quite light already, he is quite free doing more simulator"
"So you're in between?"
"Pretty much" he chuckles.
"That's good. I guess I'll be able to make a schedule"
"You really don't have to"
"I have to warn you though" she grins
"What?"
"I'm quite strict and bossy" she laughs as she states her working attitude is very different
"As long as you're here, I won't mind" Charles gave her a big smile.

"Hey.. can I borrow your phone? I need to call my family"
"Yeah sure its on my desk"
She went inside his room and got his phone. She noticed the piano.
"Ohhh.. you play piano right?" She yelled as he was washing the dishes.
"Yeahh why do you play?"
"When I was little but I can't remember anymore" she laughs and faces his phone to his face
"I guess I'll download fbmessenger. I'll videocall them.. do you mind?" She asks.
"No it's okay you can show them around" He smiles.