That big blue line

From The New Australia Travel Guide

That big blue line

It's one country, but there are two entirely different Australias, separated by a bright blue line. On one side – the side you'll see when you first arrive – are the Visitor Zones, the public Australia that's set up for the way people do things in the rest of the world; and on the other side is the real Australia, where people don't have to worry about such crazy notions as money!

The blue line isn't just a metaphor: it's a real line painted on the ground, to mark the boundary of a Visitor Zone. You'll usually see it flanked by road-signs with a crossed-V on them, meaning 'no Visitors'. Out in the country, the opposite applies: service-stations, hotels, restaurants and the like that cater for visitors display a large 'V' sign, and you'll be expected to pay for service in the usual way. Other places won't take payment, but probably won't provide service either – though most people will help you anyway if they think you've a genuine need.

Ordinary visitors such as tourists aren't supposed to cross the line without an escort. That's the law, though in practice most people won't mind, especially close to the line. But don't push your luck: Australians don't use money, but that doesn't mean anything you see on the far side of the line is free for you to take. If anyone complains to the GA (Guard Alliance – see "Police"), you'll find yourself sitting in an airport departure-lounge a lot sooner than you intended, and probably with a hefty fine to pay as well.

Think of it as like being in a friend's house. If you're invited in for a visit, you wouldn't expect to be charged for a drink, or a meal; but neither would you walk off with their shopping, or the grandfather clock. If it looked like you're just freeloading, your friend wouldn't be keen to have you around. And if you barged into the house without an invitation, you wouldn't expect your friend to be too pleased about it.

So it's much the same here. That big blue line is like the doorway to a stranger's house. There's no door, no physical barrier: but it is someone else's home. Treat it as such – ask permission, check with people before you do anything – and you won't go far wrong.

Justremember that it's a different world on the other side of that big blue line!