Crazy scientists

Part of transcript from Channel 6 News, Tuesday

Max Amon (presenter): The annual meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science descended into farce today when Australian scientist Cory Osmer, from Derwent University in Melbourne, claimed the country's economic system makes people psychic. Claire Hamill has the details.

Claire Hammill: Yes, Max, we had sober scientists heckling and jeering as she gave her talk. Two even climbed to the podium with a straitjacket and offered to tie Osmer up in it.

     Osmer herself had this to say when I spoke to her earlier.

Cory Osmer: We've tracked a steep increase of capability for intuitive technologies in Australia over the past five years. So-called 'psychic' skills like remote sensing, telepathy and telekinesis.

Claire Hammill: Are you saying these things are real?

Cory Osmer: Of course. There has never been any reason for any competent scientist to doubt this.

Claire Hammill: Okay, if you say so. So, how does this link to economics?

Cory Osmer: Self-responsibility. The responsibility framework is the core of our economic system and educational model. It's the only factor that differs from the rest of the world, where these skills are still as rare as before.

Claire Hammill: And do you think this is something new, something specifically Australian?

Cory Osmer: Not at all. These skills have always been available to anyone. The psychology, physics and physiology of this have all been known for decades. And much of the key research work was done here in Britain, back in the last century, though sadly most of those studies seem to have been forgotten now. Really all that we've done is confirm them.

Claire Hammill: Were you surprised by the response at the conference?

Cory Osmer: I was disappointed, but not surprised. After all, scientists as prone as anyone else to the effects of Gooch's Paradox.

Claire Hammill: What paradox is that?

Cory Osmer: Seeing is believing, but believing defines seeing.  Most people find it hard to see past their beliefs about truth when they face contrary fact. Some facts are unpalatable. But as scientists we do have responsibilities to report what we find.

Claire Hammill: Back to you, Max.

Max Amon: Well, there you have it. Australia the crazy country. Crazy economics and crazy scientists too.

     Next up, Bob Frankland's prediction for tomorrow's weather.