TWO

ANA STOOD AWKWARDLY, trying to see over the crowd of people. The general of the first army stood on a raised platform. His voice shushed the sea of people surrounding him. Ana zoned out during the beginning of his speech. Thinking only of sleeping.

"The Second Army, however, has a shiny new solution to our food shortage and it sails tomorrow for Novokribirsk. If this model works, it means a full meal for everyone in this tent next week."

Ana's stomach rumbled at the thought of food, realizing she hadn't eaten more than a piece of bread or two in the last few days. She leaned on Mal's shoulder in exhaustion. Mal threw his arm around her shoulder and held her close.

"There's nothing to fear." Mal began to mimic the general. "I will now be selecting names from what I call the 'nightmare lottery.'"

Alina sniggered while Ana's eyes went wide. The Fold? Why would they let anyone go through that thing? Ana had nightmares about it ever since she could remember. Watching her parents get sucked in and never coming back.

Alina noticed her face and hugged her tight. "There's more than a hundred soldiers here, what are the odds you'll get picked?" Alina tried to comfort her little sister. Mal held her closer at Alina's words.

"For the supply run across the Fold!" The general paused before reading the list. Ana could hear her heart thumping in her ears, her breathing ragged. "Sergeant Yure Teplov. Tracker Malyen Oretsev."

Both Starkov sisters looked to Mal, horrified. Ana felt as though she was going to pass out. This was worse than her own name getting drawn. She knew Alina wouldn't let him go alone. Ana could lose the only people in her life that matter.

"Did he... but you're in our unit." Alina rushed out. This couldn't be happening. Alina looked to Ana for help.

"It must be a mistake." Ana tried to comfort all three of them. It had to be a mistake. Mal shook his head rapidly in agreement.

"It has to be an error. It has to be." Mal's face scrunched in sadness. He was trying to convince himself of the words he spoke.

"And finally, Corporal Alexei Starkov." The general announced. Time had slowed down. Waves of emotion crashing onto her shore. Her immediate thought was Alina. Alina will find a way to get on that ship and Ana would be damned if that would happen.

"Good news. Mal can split that whole five kruge with me once we make it to Ketterdam." Ana smiled wryly before marching away from the group. This was her chance to protect Mal. The person who has protected her since she can remember. Even if she died trying.
-
The youngest Starkov sister let her hair fall out of the army issued hat with a sigh. Tears welled up in her eyes and her lip quivered. A singular tear fell from her eye as a sob escaped Ana's lips. Rustling could be heard outside her tent before a head poked through the front slit of the tent. It was the Grisha from earlier.

"Not hungry?" He spoke as though they were familiar. Ana's brows furrowed in confusion. How arrogant must you be to burst into another's tent and act as though you've been friends for years.

"What are you doing?" Ana's tone was harsh. She didn't mean to be, but she had gone through a lot today and needed a good cry. Just to let it all out and then move on.

"Offering you food. I see these cooks don't like Shu very much". The head soon became a full body and sat down across from Ana on the ground. A small fire separated them.

"I'm-" Ana halted the harsh words that were about to burst from her mouth and thought critically about what she was going to say. He could be offering her food just to trick her or get her in trouble. "What is your name?" Ana settled for.

"I'm Fyodor. Named after my great grandfather." Fyodor smiled warmly at Ana. Ana cautiously returned the smile before continuing her twenty questions.

"What are you doing in my tent, Fyodor." Ana was suspicious of this information that had been given to her. It was unlikely a Grisha would be kind to someone like her, especially because she was half Shu.

"Well, I haven't seen you leave your tent for supper. Your friends had found their own so I had thought you might like some of mine. I'm not too hungry tonight." Fyodor offered her some meat and fruit on a wooden plate. Cured boar and multi-colored grapes.

"Have you been watching me?" Ana gasped. This had to be a trick. They were going to try and injure her so she would be an easier target for Volcra or something equally vile.

"Observing, is what I'd call it." Fyodor chuckled, a hint of pink blossoming onto his cheeks. A rumble from Ana's stomach had cut his embarrassment off. He urged her to take the food. Ana sighed and grabbed a piece of meat.

"Thank you." Ana mumbled sincerely in between her bites. Fyodor was thrown off. "I might die tomorrow so here goes nothing. Would you like to stay a little longer? I could use the company."

Fyodor smiled gently at the poor girl. "Funny. I might die as well." Both lost souls watched as the small fire crackled in the enclosed tent, hoping each other's company would put their wandering minds to rest for a moment.