THIRTEEN

TW: BLOOD AND GORE

DARKNESS ENGULFS the young girl's pupils while she stands over the cowering man. His body trembled with a mix of fear and pain from being forcefully brought to his knees. Pained whimpers escaped his lips, knowing he was dangerously close to death. "P-please. I did nothing of the sort! I could never disobey him. You have to believe me!" Blood spurted from his lips at each word.

"I suggest you save your breath, your life is a means to an end. I don't like beggars much anyway." With one swift movement, she twisted her open palm to crush the man's heart. A sickening gurgle left his lips as blood trailed down his chin. His body crumpled to the ground with a thud. A smirk settled on her lips as she walked away from the horrifying scene she had just created.

Ana jolts up from her bed, accompanied by a pounding headache. She's never had a dream like that before. Why did it feel so real?

A knock on the door brings Ana out of her thoughts. She yells a quick "come in" before plopping back down on the bed. A groan escapes her lips as the headache intensifies.

"I was told to bring this to you" Genya approaches Ana with a black box in hand. Ana grabbed the box from Genya's arms, wasting no time opening the rather large box. A red and black Kefta, decorated with hints of gold, was folded neatly in the box along with a note.

Little Dove,

Do me the honor of accompanying me to the ceremony tomorrow. If you accept, wear this dress and meet me in the library before the sun sets and the festivities start. I'll be waiting.

Yours truly,
Aleksander

Ana placed the note down on her bed, feeling indifferent about it all. All she wanted to do was see her sister right now. "Genya?" Ana called to the girl who was half way to the door.

"Yes?" Genya raised an eyebrow at the girl, waiting for her to continue. Ana knew she took a liking to Alina more than herself but she couldn't help the want to have Genya like her just as much.

"Are you seeing Alina today?" Ana set the box to the side and eyed the girl who seemed even more curious than before.

"Possibly, why?" Genya gave the girl a curious glance. Ana's unusually chipper mood this morning was throwing Genya off.

"Can you give her something for me?" Ana quickly ripped the blank bottom half of her note from Kirigan off and went to her desk. She began writing before Genya could even give an answer. Ana finished the note and folded it up, sealing it with the wax and stamp stationed on her desk.

The Starkov popped up from her chair and placed the sealed letter to Genya's open hand. "Do not open it and tell her to only read it when she's alone." Ana's upbeat tone shifted to a dark and warning one. The girl's continued their stare off for a moment before Genya nodded, then left the room.

_

Ana walked around the stalls being set up for tonight. Nostalgia hit her as the scenery reminded her of the big events they would have in Keramzin. When her, Mal, and Alina would sneak away and explore the luxurious fairs and displays of wealth. How they could blend in with the rest of the kids that ran wild. They were free for a night. They were just like everyone else. Ana longed for that feeling once again. Mal would tell her that being different isn't a bad thing. Being different made them special.

A tear ran down her reddened cheek. She quickly wiped it away and headed for the training yard. Fighting was the only way she could deal with her emotions and right now, she needed a clear head.

She began to beat on the straw dummy in front of her until she could barely breathe. Her lungs felt like they were about to collapse with every punch and kick she delivered, but she kept going. She just wanted to see Mal again. She just wanted her sister to be her sister again, not some savior for their nation. She felt her anger swelling as her thoughts circled more and more around the unfairness of it all. Life was hard as an orphan, but they had each other. Now Ana felt like she had no one.

Kirigan flashed through her mind. Her feelings for him were confusing. One minute she couldn't stand the guy, the next she couldn't get enough of him. She wanted him out of her head. So she did what any irrational person would do.

She went to his room.

Ana hesitated before walking through the door, taking in the details of the huge layout. "Ivan, my Kefta." She heard from the next room.

With a mischievous grin, Ana grabbed the Kefta from the table in front of her and walked to the source of the booming voice. Ana stood facing Kirigan's back, watching him through his mirror. She held out the Kefta for Kirigan to put his arms through the sleeves. He did so and quickly turned to face Ana.

"Quite the surprise, little dove. I thought I wouldn't be seeing you until tonight. Did you make up your mind?" Kirigan eyed Ana as she buttoned his Kefta and smoothed out the collar. Her eyes met his and her breath hitched.

"I have. I'm sorry for being so distant. I've just needed time to think." Ana's palm cupped Kirigan's cheek lovingly. He grasped a fistful of her hair and crashed his lips with Ana's. They poured their longing and lust for one another into the kiss. His lips were soft against hers but his kisses were rough and needy. Kirigan's free hand found it's way to Ana's hip. He brought her closer before Ana hesitantly pulled away from the kiss. He rested their foreheads together, both trying to catch their breaths. Ana wrapped her arms around his waist and hugged him tightly.

Kirigan stilled for a moment, surprised by the gesture. "I can't wait for you to be by my side this evening. To show you to the nation." A smirk was fighting to stay on his lips as he thought of how perfect everything had come together.

Ana didn't miss the menacing tone in his voice. Unfortunately, Alina was her top priority tonight. Not deciphering what the hell that meant.

I'm sorry for the long hiatus. I'm not dead, just depressed:)