Chapter 26

Blaze darted through the darkness of the Ship's interior. It was difficult to see so she checked using her soul perception. Blaze was surprised when the walls of the ship lit up. She could see clearly without having to wait for her eyes to adjust, but had no idea why. Something ahead of her moved.

Fang was back. This time, he was phasing partially out of the ceiling with his body upside down and his revolver at the ready. Blaze zig-zagged through the hall to avoid the bullets then rolled into a different corridor. A bullet was fired near her even though she was out of Fang's sight. The bullet bounced off the walls twice and hit Blaze in the shoulder. No serious damage was dealt thanks to the loss of impact from the ricochet. It still felt painful enough that she definitely wasn't interested in experiencing a direct hit. The bullet that had just hit her bounced down the hall on the ground in front of her. She thought it looked strange, so she scooped it off the ground without stopping.

It was a cork.

A revolver that shot corks was definitely strange. She had already known that he wasn't using a demon weapon. So why fire corks? The bounce shots gave some utility, but were inaccurate and less damaging. He had an immunity to her normal attacks, so why wasn't he using a more dangerous weapon? Perhaps he wanted to avoid damaging the ship. That would explain why he fired this weapon so recklessly even while indoors. It was starting to make sense to her now. He didn't appear to have a soul, the ship's structure responded to her soul perception, and he could move freely through the walls.

"Your body is the ship," Blaze spoke to Fang once he appeared in front of her again.

"Clever girl,"

He thought for sure he'd hit her head on with this shot. Her soul perception notified her of his reappearance so she had been ready to dodge. Blaze saw a mounted oil lantern on the wall that was out of use. She grabbed hold, igniting it instantly. She hurled the burning object past Fang and it released a splash of burning oil behind him. Although the flame's she'd created hadn't landed near him, fire appeared on his shoulder. Knowing how to hurt her opponent made Blaze grin.

"You--!"

Fang was hit by a rapid series of strikes. She couldn't hurt him like this, but her attacks could knock him off balance. She also disarmed him to buy time for retreating. Blaze made sure to make him fall into the fire she'd started just in case her assessment was wrong. She ran through the fire unharmed, then continued down the hall. Silver rounded the corner to make the situation even better.

"Blaze, the wolf guy is hoarding a bunch of souls on the ship!"

"I'm a jerboa, ya mook!"

Fang was too occupied with putting out the fire to retrieve his gun. Silver shifted into a sword. Blaze caught him without slowing down. She dashed quickly through the ship. She was relieved to have her movement speed enhanced by having her weapon back.

"I saw a bunch of ghosts while we were separated. They led me here!"

"That's nice, Silver," Blaze said dismissively.

"I'm serious! They're the souls taken by this ship! We have to do something!"

Blaze shifted out of her hunter's mindset for a moment. "We will. The captain needs to be taken care of first. We're too restricted down here. Let's head for the deck,"

"The ship is keeping us trapped. Let's make our own exit,"

"Lovely idea,"

Embers swirled around the duo. Blaze pointed her sword down the hall and released a fireball. An explosion came once the attack connected with the ceiling. Light filled the nearby area. Blaze ran towards the opening, then jumped through.