Prologue

It was a beautiful night, to be sure.

Outside, the moon shone brightly, falling through the windows of the tenant house and splashing over Johnny's work desk. Tonight was not one spent drawing and drawing till he slumped over in sleep, though. Tonight was much different.

He reckoned he hadn't packed this fast since he first got drafted; in fact, he probably packed faster this time. Folded shirts, pairs of good pants, a comb, and of course a book of plain paper and a couple pencils, all were thrown into his large brown suitcase. He knew what he was doing, oh he did, but there was something about his demeanor, something odd. A strange mood was over him, an urgency, the kind you know you won't come back from in just one piece.

Though, that wasn't saying much for Johnny anyway. He was barely in one piece as it was, he told himself. Not much can get worse now. You're already missing an arm and haven't got one leg.

The words of his sister, Polly, came to him: "Johnny, you're as whole as anyone. You've got a heart and a brain; you're as much a man as any, in my eyes." His heart sank a little as he slammed his old suitcase shut. He slowed, pausing for a moment. As his hazel eyes fixed on the plain white windowsill, a sliver of doubt pricked him. He didn't have to go. In fact, life would only be ten times harder alone. Though he was familiar with his prosthetics, there was just so much maintenance to be done on them. He stole himself over; he couldn't stop himself now. He'd finally free up Polly's shoulders, no longer a burden on anyone but himself. He had to get away, for her sake.

With his real arm, he swung the heavy suitcase off the desk. No looking back. Come on, now. This was it; he'd lose himself to this dangerous urgency. It was the only way he could manage it all.

His black working boots thunked on the floor. The uneven jolt in his prosthetic walk made it hard to sneak around, that was for sure. Walking down the hallway, he couldn't help but slow to a stop at the closed door of Polly's room. Her steady snoring crept from behind it—she was more likely to wake herself than he was, that wasn't his concern. It was the knot of emotion in his throat and tears that grew in his eyes that were.

Polly. How many times had she reassured him? Even after giving her blood, sweat, tears, and everything else for him, was he really going to just leave like this? She'd done everything for him over the last year. She was the one who gave him a home after being sent back from the war. She was the one who paid through the nose for his top of the line prosthetics. She was the one who worked seven days a week, day and night to support both of them. An amazing woman was what she was. She'd given her life up to save Johnny. And what had he done to earn it? Nothing. Leaving's the best way I can repay her at this point. I know it is. She'd just be better off on her own, not with some freeloading idiot like me hanging off her shoulders.

It was all he could do to force himself to keep going and not just freeze up in shame. He would have wiped tears away, if his metal-fingered hand wasn't the only free one. His resolve was all that lifted his heavy boots.

A short trip out of the apartment's door, through the dreadfully dark hallway, and down the claustrophobic stairs brought him to the city street. All that walked it was the wisps of night fog, like spirits lost on their way to peace. Above, though, the sky was perfectly clear; the only light was the full moon and stars twinkling above. They leered with a certain coldness tonight. Johnny averted his eyes from their glare. A sudden numbness came with the chilly air. He didn't know where he was going, maybe didn't even really know he was moving, but he was sure walking.

Minutes, hours went by. The stars changed their views of him, scrutinizing him at every angle. What will I do tomorrow? What about the next day? Johnny's mind grew dim; after all, it had to be nearly morning now. Weariness slipped in place of resolve. What am I going to do?

A shadow began to form at his feet, outlined in a pale yellow light. His brow creased as he realized this. "Goodness... is the sun up already?" he muttered to himself, his voice barely a whisper. However, the light suddenly grew sickly, turning amber much faster than he'd like it to be. Within seconds, it was nearly colouring the whole street in its harsh light. Fear rose in his chest. What on Earth...? He turned his head to glance at what could be making this strange light, only to stumble backwards as he took it in.

A screech of metal on metal and a hiss introduced it as it slid to a halt beside the man. Johnny's jaw hung open. A steel beast, glass studding it here and there. Stripes of green, red, yellow, and blue clung to its sleek sides. And of course, its broad front bore the terrible light that poured over the city block. He noticed it as it slowly slunk just a bit further before stopping just so that a door stood in front of him, its metal face foreboding to him.

It was a giant, magnificent, terrible train.

"Boy..." He couldn't say much else in reply, or do much either, for that matter. He simply stood there, frozen in disbelief and more than a little fear. He must be seeing things. He must be dreaming. Mustn't he?

As if to answer his shock, the door slid open, all of its own accord. Timidly, Johnny peered inside. It seemed normal enough, pleasant even. Inside it had a kind of class, inviting in its charm. The light was welcoming, unlike that of the cold stars above. And better yet, the car was entirely empty. Too empty, almost... though it seemed like all that, he could tell something wasn't quite there. Maybe it was the entirely impossible nature of the train, where it stood on the plain city road on no rails. Maybe it was the just slightly outdated print on the walls. Or maybe still it was the peculiar way the fog seemed to be pulled inside. He couldn't quite put his finger on it.

It seemed almost like Johnny was being made an offer. On one hand, he had a future life of vagrancy, guilt, and hard going. On the other... this, this strangely welcoming train car.

Oh now, come! What do you have to lose, boy? A chill ran down his spine. Though he was sure he hadn't heard that, he somehow knew it had been said. What do you have to lose? His hesitation lasted only for a moment as he ruminated on the question.

Nothing.

With that, he stepped on board. And as the door sealed behind him, so did his fate.