Act II - Scene 9

No. No, this couldn't be.

All excitement, every shred of joy, fell away from Johnny like leaves in fall. He staggered backward. His mouth ran dry and his eyes opened wide, fixed only on the little boat, the shapes within it, and, most of all, the doom they brought with them. Lillian had beaten Ed, the most senior of all their companions in almost every way, especially in fighting off demons and things like that. Things like her. And yet, she'd gotten him. Nothing was stopping her now. Nothing could stop her. Certainly nothing they all could do. No, no, no. Oh god, no! We're done for!

"Why, you're white as a ghost, Johnny! What's got you all pale?" Sally's words jolted Johnny back into the reality of the situation. The others, his companions—they were all there, around him. They must not've caught sight of Lillian in the brief flash she had been visible. They had no idea what was coming.

Panic all about him, he glanced, wordless, between Sally and the boat. His tongue fumbled around in his mouth, a string of babble leaving it. "T-t-the- the boat- it's-" He stopped for a moment, looking out helplessly, as the dinghy sped across the last couple yards to the dock. He blinked again and again, trying to hold back tears, but he couldn't. He couldn't stop an accompanying wail either. It wasn't a wail of despair, no; it was one of pure terror, half-way between a sob and a scream. "SHE'S COMING!! She's in the boat, she's—"

A gasp came from the kids, who still had their eyes on the water and had evidently noticed what was upon them. "Oh, Salem, did you see?"

"Yeah!"

"Shall we hide?"

"No, we gotta help him!"

"I'm frightened for him, Salem!"

"C'mon, we'll take her together. I've got your back!"

"Take who?" Sally said. "What are you all—" She interrupted herself with her own glimpse out at the vessel. The only problem was that by now it was too late to do anything; she was already too close. Johnny despaired at himself. Why couldn't I have just said something right?!

Orla didn't seem to think all was lost yet; she turned on her heel and ran for the door, pulling Sally behind her by the hand. Just as she laid her fingers on the handle a burst of pink and petals sent the two flying back. "Nice try!" Lillian, near enough to be heard now, yelled across the waves in a haughty tone. "But you're not getting away now." With a snap from her, a hurricane of the pink force completely barricaded the door. All hope of escape was cut off now. They could do nothing but stand there as she drew closer to the edge, docked the dinghy, and stepped off. Behind her she left Ed, limp and bound by her storm of flowers. She'd taken his shovel, too; as her heels clicked down on the worn wood of the dock, she spun it around in her hand with a flourish. "Oh, and please don't make this any more difficult than it already has been," she said. "Beating this guy was a chore, you know."

That was when Anne and Salem made their break for the gravedigger. They darted around behind Lillian, brave but clumsy. The reaper-girl noticed them instantly, of course; as they jumped to try to make it into the dinghy, she turned and caught them in her storm, right in the air. "Hey, what did I just say?!"

Though Anne had once again gone limp like a ragdoll, Salem was putting up the fight of their life. "Let Ed go!! Anne too! You can't do this!" they cried. The poor kid, they were valiant as ever. Johnny's heart broke for them, in pieces after that and the distress already smashing it.

"Yeah I can," Lillian said dryly. "It's actually my job." Without a moment of hesitation, she threw them both back to the rough boards of the dock. She ignored their groans and cries as easily as if they were just sacks of flour that she'd just tossed around. "Great. Now, sit down so we can all do this the easy way." A pause passed. No one moved, not on either side. "Well? Come on!"