Chapter 3 - Hallways

I'm happy with Ravenclaw. For one thing, I won't be in a house with Mattheo and that group, and then I feel like Ravenclaw is the most neutral. Ravenclaw can fit in with Slytherins in their ambition, resourcefulness, and intelligence, they're hard working in what they strive for like Hufflepuffs, and willing to go to great lengths for knowledge and whatever they set their minds too and able to stand out without fear like Gryffindors.

It may be very beneficial to my task to be in Ravenclaw, as I'm not entirely sure where the objects landed. If I find they're with some extremely pure-blood more widely known and respected family, it would be better to be able to fit in without question. That won't necessarily be perfect being in Ravenclaw, but on the other side of things, if the objects landed in some... lesser known hands, someone like the kind of person the group from the carriage wouldn't love, it's best to not be in Slytherin. Being from Durmstrang is one thing, but being a Durmstrang Slytherin who excels in the dark arts and magic in general, would probably give me a questionable name with those who are less embracing of darker magic and the things my grandfather strives for.

To be fully honest, I'm not worried at all and it wouldn't have been an obstacle for me if I had been placed in Slytherin. If you know how to work people the way you want, once you get to a certain point, almost nothing to the effect of a bad perception of you can stop you. Wizards are no exception to this. If anything, stroking a wizard's ego in the right way can get you farther than you'd expect really. It's not difficult to get what you want from people, especially now when there's so much going on. Your head in five different directions at once.

"My dear there are things you do not know of yourself."

The hat's cryptic words run through my mind. Should I take that warning seriously? I can't help but wonder... I know the sorting hat is wise, and has even been thought of as all knowing. Existing in all times at once, and twistedly like the fates, being able to see things you could never have dreamed of. But what could it have possibly meant? Should I be more concerned?

"Hey." A voice pulls me back from my thoughts and I turn to look at the boy sitting beside me. His sandy blonde hair is loose and untamed, hanging messily over his strikingly green eyes. He brushes his hair out of his face and holds out his hand. "Axel Mathers." He introduces himself.

Mathers... I do know that name. He must be Lonox's son. His brothers, I presume, are both relatively well known. Half-bloods.

"Hi. Chloé." I return, smiling back at him as we shake hands.

"That was quite the sorting." He says with a breathy chuckle.

I smile slightly. "Was it? I was just hoping it would be over."

He chuckles. "You know, I have to admit when I heard Durmstrang I assumed you'd be in Slytherin."

I smile slightly, cocking my head. "From what I've heard... and met... I'll take it as a compliment that I'm not in Slytherin." I say, glancing over to where the group I was with on the carriage. Axel follows my eyes and nods in understanding, scowling slightly. I smile as I look back at him. People are so easy it's fantastic. So much less guarded here than at Durmstrang. He meets my gaze and nods.

"I see." He cocks his head slightly. "When did you meet them?"

"They came onto a carriage with me." He nods again. "What is it with them?" I ask. I am curious. It seems he instantly knew what I meant. All I've heard about the social aspect of Hogwarts has been from Mattheo, and it seems he's barely even begun to cover it.