Chapter Three

Absence is a house so vast that inside you will pass through its walls and hang pictures on the air.
― Pablo Neruda

Ivan Dwayne 

As my Jeep Wrangler passed through the streets of the small town, I marveled at the quaint looking buildings. Although, my line of business required traveling, I never stopped at a small town before. 

Just last month, I was in Philadelphia for work. Never realized she was just on the outskirts of the city, so near, within my reach, without my knowledge. My hands tightened on the wheels as I remembered the young woman, looking incredibly beautiful just like four years ago. No wonder I was crazy to have her, anyhow possible. Such a stupid and drunken mistake turned out to be a saving grace in my time of need. 

The saving grace in the form of my fiery beauty. Damn, she was still mesmerizing, taking my breath away. Her naked figure so vividly fresh in my mind as the whole of last night in the motel I spent reminiscing our night together in Las Vegas. I wouldn't mind sleeping with her again, but this time, absolutely with a sober mind. There was no way I was drinking around her. Only my fucked up subconscious mind knew what more could I conjure up with her. A marriage was enough for a lifetime. I could not handle another surprise.

Janet Julien was younger than me by four years, and she had a stable job and a home. According to Mark, she worked as an editor at a publishing firm, but the diner's apron on her from yesterday's meeting said something else. Mark might have failed to find out about her dire financial situation. Why would she work in a diner if she had a stable job? Perhaps, she was low on cash. A grin came on my face at the new information. This could work in my favor. 

Mark hadn't gotten me any personal information about her. He only managed to track down her workplace which led to an address in this quiet town. Whether it was his poor expertise or personal torment for me, I knew not. Never before Mark failed me, but he had my father's last mistress to keep track of; thus, I sought after the woman from my memory on my own without further delay. But this town was another hurdle Mark failed to inform. His incompetence just kept piling up. I should cut down his salary, but then he would blame that on me as well. At times, it sucked to have your best friend working for you.

In this town, nobody opened their mouths when I started asking around about her. Her house was empty so naturally I roamed around, hoping to catch her somewhere with the help from her neighbors, but all they did was seal their mouth and drive me away. 

A stranger was definitely not welcomed here. 

So I used my brain, and located the town's diner. Everyone always stopped by a diner, hoping to catch meals or mingle with others in a close knit community and I was right. But I wasn't prepared to see my bewitching beauty again. Her auburn curls were a definite turn on for me from the beginning. I never knew I had a thing for red-heads before I met her, but surprisingly, I could never date another red-head. They weren't enough attractive for me, not even witty with words to begin with and did not even make my shaft twitch with desire. 

It was only this red-head who managed to trap me with her beauty. Her lean body was a bit fuller now, but it did not deter any of her appeal. She was still a vision though I was yet to see her charming and amusing self which fascinated me years ago. Now, she had a more matured aura around her. Although, I was curious what changed, I couldn't forget why I was here. 

Stopping before the small two-story house, I gathered my wits and persuasion skill I used in my business negotiations. It always worked, resulting in millions of dollars. I was confident my skill would not be lacking in her case. I had five days to show up with a wife on my arm before the obnoxious lawyer, five days since I challenged my father's watchdog, five days until I had the whole D&D Oil corp under my name, barring the shares belonging to few Middle Eastern companies. Nevertheless, the corporation was what I lived and breathe. I needed Janet Julien to keep it for myself.