Chapter Ten

The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
― Kakuzo Okakura

Janet Julien

It had been barely four days since I started spending my mornings watching the wide ocean at the backyard, and I wasn't still accustomed to it.

Looking at Caden's busy hands in planting seeds on the flowerbeds Ivan had gotten for him, I almost scoffed at my son's adaptability in new places and situations. We were on the deck, spending our mornings as productively as we could in a place where we didn't belong, at least I didn't.

Sipping the coffee, I sighed at the marvelous view of the sky greeting the ocean. There was nothing wrong in the days we had spent here, even Ivan managed to spent some quality times with Caden, started having breakfast and dinner with us, putting in more effort than I had expected from him. On the work front, my supervisor had no qualms on me shifting places, even offered some vacation days since I hadn't used them in my years of working, but being the busy bee I was, I had refused and continued to work diligently, meeting all the deadlines on top it. Moreover, Caden's school regularly mailed me his additional school works, so he wasn't lagging behind either. All things were smoothly sailing.

Then, why was I still feeling down?

My phone buzzed, and I put the coffee mug on the wooden railing to check the text Mia had sent. It was an image of Mrs. Audrey sitting on a corner booth with Ted Hawkins, the owner of the town's flower shop. Another message popped up.

"It finally happened. They are dating! I told you so!"

I shook my head, smiling and replied.

"You should really be a fortune teller."

"I just might. Miss you. xx"

"Me too. xx"

Locking the phone, I grabbed the coffee mug and took a seat on the lounge chair, keeping watch on Caden in his gardening time. He was very satisfied with how he managed time over here as he was such an introvert, but I could never spend my days within the four walls of the house, and that too unwillingly.

Being the extrovert that I was, I had to spend at least six hours a day outside, meeting people and conversing, but Ivan had limited my options by forbidding me and I was reaching my limit. Usually, no one was as patience as I had been among my list of friends and acquaintances, but Ivan was an exception, thoroughly patience in irking me until I exploded.

So be it.

Once again, putting down the empty mug on the floor, I called the devil. He should be in the office as usual, working like he was born to, and leaving me to rot in an unknown place with no means to go out.

"Hello? Everything okay?"

Almost rolling my eyes at his concerned voice, I flatly replied. "Everything's just absolutely great."

"O...kay?" As if sensing my mood, I heard him go into a quiet place as the sound of voices disappeared.

"I'm going out."

There was silence until he asked in a concealing voice. "Where?"

"Somewhere."

"How?"

"Somehow."

More silence as he processed the situation, mulling until the bulb in his mind sparked on for him to say, "I'll take you shopping today."

My mood darkened further as I sharply responded. "Why? I never said I wanted to shop."

"There's a gala tomorrow night. Why don't you come with me?"