cool pillows and familiar smoke

February 1, 1977
5:34 am
Gryffindor Boys Dormitories

The first thing Anneliese noticed when she woke up from her very deep sleep was how the scent filling her senses was very different than usual.

Normally, she could smell Lily's rose conditioner wafting over from the bed next to her, along with some form of cologne that Marlene used way too much of because she said 'perfume was too boring.'

Instead of these familiar ones, the most prominent scent was sharp, rich smoke from a cigarette.

She recognized it from somewhere she couldn't quite place, and not just a certain boy.

The smooth, cool fabric pressing against her cheek only amplified the smell, making Anneliese very confused. She hadn't smoked at all last night, and her pillowcase had never smelled like this before even if she had done an entire pack, which was rare but still an occurrence.

After the smell, the other thing that hit her was how cold her nearly bare legs were.

They weren't tucked under the scarlet, soft quilts, pillows, and sheets like normal, but instead exposed to the cool winter air of the tower.

Anneliese could feel her black uniform skirt hitched up her leg, and immediately hoped that it had reached that level of exposure from tossing and turning in her sleep, not something else.

Not a single voice could be heard in the background like usual such as Alice and Lily having their morning tea, nor Dorcas and Marlene trying to figure out whose bra belonged to which one of them after getting them mixed up for the hundredth time that week.

Instead, there was only someone breathing from the left of her bed that she had never heard before.

Letting her dark blue eyes flutter open to try and solve the mystery of why everything seemed so different and who the hell was next to her, Anneliese felt a pit shoot through her stomach at what she saw.

On the stone floor below her, Sirius was fast asleep in what appeared to be a very uncomfortable position with his side pressed against the hard surface.

His jet black hair still somehow looked perfect even after spending the night on the floor, while his light pink lips were just barely parted to let his breath flow in and out more easily. It was the most peaceful Anneliese had seen him in a very long time.

The tiny smile that had tugged at the corners of her mouth because of seeing him like that suddenly disappeared once she realized what his presence there could mean.

I am in the boy's dorms, she thought with panic, tugging down her skirt. And Sirius Black is lying right next to me on the floor. And I am in his bed. And I was very drunk last night. What the hell did I do?

Anneliese quickly propped herself up on her forearms, which she immediately regretted from the intense pounding in her head that started with this motion, only emphasizing her very low alcohol tolerance she had betrayed last night.

Glancing to either side of her, Callaway saw Frank fast asleep on one side of her and Peter on the other in their beds. Neither of them seemed like they had a particularly traumatic night, and neither would also let her do something stupid while she was drunk.

Right? prompted Anneliese to no one in particular. Shit, shit, shit.

Doing another glance to make sure that they were all asleep, she looked down the neckline of her shirt, making sure that her bra was still perfectly in place.

Much to her relief, the light blue lace was still securely fastened around her shoulders and ribs, not adjusted at all in her sleep. Anneliese took in a sharp inhale as she lifted up the waistband of her skirt to check the matching, delicate fabric underneath.