ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ 15

A parade of people greeted Ragnar and the others as they walked into town.

"It's Ragnar!"

"Ragnar! He's back!"

"Thank the Gods!"

"Floki!" One of the healers shouted, running up to the boney man for a hug.

"Elisef!" He greeted the lady with a grin.

"We are so glad to see you all."

"We've been to Hel and back, now it's time to celebrate." He hugged Helga, Elisef, and Bálburunn with his long arms as they all walked together.

The redhead spotted Björn's tall head near the front, walking with his mother. Several women surrounded Lagertha expressing how much they missed her, leaving Björn behind. Bálburunn walked over to him, but was cut off when Askel's face came into view.

"What is it you see in that boy? Hmm?" The man asked, touching her shoulder. She frowned, shooing his hand off.

"What does it matter to you?"

"He is barely fit for battle. Did you see his father come to rescue him?"

Bálburunn glared at him. "He does not sneak into women's tents at night, so it would seem he is of better value than you."

"Better value? Without our soldiers, you would not have driven Borg's men away."

"That may be true, but we still could have done it with someone else leading Botarskal's people."

Askel stared at her. "Are you fucking him too? Is that it?" She did not answer. "Am I not enough? I could do so many things, I could make you feel..." He placed a hand onto her bottom. She whipped her head at him, slapping his hand away before punching him in the nose.

"Do not touch me." She hissed at him. She could hear the gasps around her. Björn had turned around when he heard the murmuring, staring at the redhead. Her face slowly grew the colour of her hair. She pushed past the crowd, eager to get a drink.

At the front of the crowd, Rollo was already performing a sacrifice. "On this day, we offer a sacrifice to Odin, the mighty one, to thank him for our victory over Jarl Borg." The townsfolk cheered. Floki appeared with a short man. The sacrifice had a rope around his neck and a bloody face. "Release him from his bonds. I know he will want to die well." Rollo pulled out an axe. "Kneel." The man obliged. "In the presence of the Gods, and in their honour, I offer this sacrifice."

"Stop!" Ragnar shouted from the Earl's longhouse. The crowd started to whisper. He jumped down from the building walking up to his brother. He held out his hand for the axe, which Rollo obliged to after some hesitance.

"Father?" Björn said, walking up to the circle, crossing his arms. Ragnar held the axe out to Björn. Lagertha stared at her son, then at Ragnar. Björn walked up, grabbing the axe. He hovered the axe near the sacrifice's neck. "In the presence of the Gods, and in their honour, I offer this sacrifice." Björn swung the axe, blood spraying into his face from the impact.

The crowd erupted in cheers. Floki grabbed Bálburunn's hand, dragging her over to the blood pool. She smiled at him, dipping her hand into the blood, stroking it across her face. Floki used both hands for himself, rubbing it all over his forehead and cheeks. He grunted, shaking and wide-eyed before running away. Rollo painted Björn's face next, with Ragnar watching a few feet away.

The Earl was looking everywhere, but mostly could not decide whether to look at Lagertha or Aslaug. Bálburunn rolled her eyes at him. "Quit being selfish," She spoke to him while sipping on a cup of ale.