ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ 16

Later on in the night, the children had woken up, running around and play-fighting with Björn in the corner of the longhouse. Bálburunn was laughing at them, sipping on ale. Rain pattered down on the roof of the longhouse, Thor's hammer beating his anvil in the distance. Lagertha, Rollo, and Siggy had all left to Siggy's cabin, leaving Floki and Helga with Ragnar.

"When you grow bigger, Hvitserk, we shall take you hunting." Björn said to the younger boy, who was pulling on a toy bow. The second oldest son jumped on Björn's back, laughing. "Oh Ubbe! You are too heavy! I am going to fall!" Björn faked falling backwards, causing the boys to break out into a fit of giggles. Aslaug wandered back out into the common room, sitting beside Ragnar, speaking to him gently. "Go attack Bálburunn! She is the better fighter!" Björn said. The children locked eyes with the redhead, mischievous grins on their faces.

Bálburunn gulped.

They charged at her, jumping on her shoulders before she could set down the ale. The redhead started snickering. "Two against one? How will I survive?" She asked between laughs. Hvitserk climbed onto her shoulders, holding onto her copper curls. Ubbe sat in her lap, clutching a toy arrow, staring up at the girl.

"When I grow up, I am going to marry you." Ubbe said, smiling at her. Her emerald eyes widened, flicking up to meet Björn. He gave her an equally confused look.

"Why is that, Ubbe?" She chuckled.

"You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen."

"Ah, I see." She said, lifting him up to rest him on the table. "Then, you shall grow big and strong so you can fight with me in battle. Perhaps then, I will marry you." She grinned.

Ubbe smiled, nodding eagerly. She started tickling him in the belly, causing the boy to squeak and run back to Björn. Bálburunn stood up, steadying Hvitserk on her shoulders.

Thunder shook the longhouse. Everyone looked up, smiling at Thor's music.

"I do not think you will marry Ubbe." Hvitserk whispered into Bálburunn's ear. She smiled.

"Oh? Why is that?"

"Because you will marry Björn." She flinched at the child's words. "But do not tell Ubbe."

"I won't tell Ubbe, I promise." She said quietly as she walked towards the other two. "It is our secret."

She lifted him off her shoulders, tossing him onto the soft guest bed. The boys started to giggle again. Björn pulled out one of the boys' wooden swords, tossing it to Bálburunn. He picked up the other, pointing the edge at her and smiling.

"Björn, I am not going to fight you with a wooden—"

"Are you scared?" He teased, standing up. She rolled her eyes at him. Floki tapped Helga on her shoulder, pointing to the teenagers.

They positioned themselves two feet away from each other, pointing the wooden swords straight. Björn swung first, but Bálburunn blocked it with ease. Their swords clanked against each other keeping time. Bálburunn jabbed to his stomach, but he swatted the sword away quickly. The redhead recovered, slicing towards his shoulder. Björn blocked then slashed at her leg. She jumped back, causing him to miss. Bálburunn slashed, knowing he would block it, but pushed forward right after, sending Björn back a few steps. She took the opportunity to jump on him, spinning him around and causing him to fall to the ground. They landed with her wooden sword against his neck.

Floki broke out into a fit of giggles. Ubbe and Hvitserk cheered for the winner.

"Enough fighting. It is bad for the children." Aslaug hissed, running over to her boys, who grinned at the two in wonder and excitement. "Off to bed, you two." Ubbe and Hvitserk protested, but eventually left with their mother.