Chapter two

Layla's face was a sketch of confusion, skepticism and doubt before it morphed into bewilderment. "If it is what I think you are implying I'm afraid I must decline your offer. I'm no-"

"Why must you make things difficult for yourself?" Damien asked, putting a halt to her near rant, "take a minute to ponder, it is only for the night. I'm not asking you for an eternity of your company"

"What is that smell? " A sudden disturbed voice asked.  "And what...what are you doing here?" Mrs. Walker walked in her face scrunched with her hand fanning in front her nose as if she just caught  whiff of the most putrid odor on earth. Her unwelcomed presence placing a pause between the two.

When giving the servant girl a nasty once over she finally took notice of what was clutched in her hands and her eyes widen and then narrowed with trouble, "Is that a burn in my husband's shirt?" she asked approaching the servant and then taking, what one would assume, is a failed a power stance.

The servant barely had time to utter a word when unexpectedly a hand was raised and collided with her jaw in a matter of seconds. Her head spun in the opposite direction on impact.

"How dare you perform with such incompetence. First this morning my breakfast and now this!?" Mrs. Walker exclaimed "What is next our house? or maybe you end up killing someone?"

The servant seemed to have reached her breaking point as a sob made its way through her mouth when she used her hands to shield her scorching face from any more blow. Opposite her stood Damien, his face a mirror of no emotions as he kept his gaze on her, assessing her intensely.

"She must be punished for this. She is a bad example we can't afford for other servants to follow" Mrs. walker said with much venom. 

"She will be, but it won't be on your terms it will be on mines. I don't punish my servants simply because you demand I do so. She will be dealt with on my terms only." Damien replied, he could be brusque and straight-forward sometimes.

"She must be taken to the whipping post this instant!", Damien glowered at his wife as the last word left her mouth, sometimes it made him wonder if he was ever in his right mind when he asked her for her hand in marriage.

"She won't be going to the whipping post" he managed to speak through clenched teeth, leaving his mind in a mess of confusion as why he hated the thought of the female before him being punished especially in the open, for many eyes to see. Even though she would not have been the first female to endure such brutality, many females years before her wasn't as lucky.

"What? surely you are mistaken my love" Mrs. Walker said in an incredulous voice. She looked from Damien and to Layla then back to Damien. Thinking she may have heard him wrong.

His words were  the very least shocking . Damien is never the one to be described as merciless. That is why the moment he thought the reason he felt for the servant before him was because of empathy, he immediately dismissed the thought .

He was the Master who demonstrated a lesson over the smallest of mishaps and punished with severity. He was not capable of feeling empathy. 

Then what was this feeling?

"How will she be punished then?" Mrs. Walker inquired, bubbling with turmoil. Damien took his wife's arm in a tight grip no doubt leaving a nasty bruise in it's wake.

"That does not concern the likes of  you and should I remind you of how you speak to me . I will not stand for your disrespect any longer." Damien near yelled at his wife. The only sign of her fear was flinch when he raised his voice even to a higher volume.

She grasped her arm when he released it and surely there was already a bruise forming from Damien's tight grip

Across from them, the servant girl stood still trying not to breathe heavily as to attract attention to herself. Her eyes were no longer swollen or filled with tears instead they were trained on the married two before her or what is to be a happily married couple at least.

As she watched them argued she knew one thing for certain. She did not want to be a wife like Mrs. Walker and never would she ever want her husband to be a man like Master Damien. She couldn't ever see her self falling in endless love with a man like him. So ruthless. so...demanding. He was a man only to be feared...not loved.

Mrs. Walker looked a Layla with nothing but hatred. she was just reminded of her presence and refused to to show her shame and embarrassment of  how she was treated just now. Her confidence could never waver especially Infront of a simple servant.

"Get out get out now!" Mrs. Walker shouted her hand twitching to delivery another unnecessary slap.

Almost instantly  the servant feet began to moved towards the door, grateful for the chance to leave the room.

"Do not take another step" Damien's words stopped her before she could continue. She turned around and stared at him then at his wife not knowing whose order to follow. She silently cursed her self for being so slow.

"Give us the room" Damien looked to his speechless wife as she took in his order. She opened her mouth to argue but stopped before she could say anything to get herself in more trouble with her tyrant husband.

Trapping the words in her mouth she so desperately wanted to spew at her husband, Mrs. Walker hurriedly left from the room bumping the servant's shoulder and glaring at her with disdain on her way out.

When it was just the two remaining in the bedroom as before. The room was filled with...well nothing but tension. It was extremely silent except for the breathing of the two.

"Now...where were we?" Damien asked in feigned boredom, with both hands tucked in the pockets on his trousers. Layla swallowed hard the ball stuck in her throat before shaking her head.

"I. I can't stay here with you. It isn't right" she stuttered under his intense gaze.

"What isn't right?" Damien asked, unbuttoning the two top buttons of his shirt leaving a few patch of hair on display.

"This bedroom belongs to yourself and your wife I shouldn't be staying here and where will she sleep?" Layla asked.

"I am surprised you care for her even after everything she has done to you but don't worry for her. she can use one of the other rooms which may or may not be occupied by a few cobwebs, nothing she can't get rid of on her own, but you are staying here and that's final"

"Remember this is a negotiation. I have a right to say no" she whispered, hanging on to whatever dignity she had left.

"Not anymore you don't. I want you clean and fresh in bed. The tub is behind the curtains and all the essentials you need don't take long." Damien instructed as he took a sat on his bed edge seemingly tensed.

Layla without complaining out loud got behind the curtains and after much fretting, stripped naked, and emerged her self into the tub of warm water.

It was one of the best baths she had taken in her lifetime. She had never felt so clean now than before. The scent of soap still lingered on her skin and her hair rested on her back, half dry after just being washed.

Wrapped in her towel now she proceeded to put on her old dirty clothes but before her hands could touch the fabrics the curtains were pulled back.

Mean whilst all occurred Mrs. Walker stood outside the room with her ear pressed to the door. Her heart filled with vengeance.

******

If you enjoyed this chapter click the voting button.

If you have friends who can't find a good story to read please
recommend this book. Ty!

Don't go anywhere more chapters coming soon :-)