Chapter 1: Somebody even better.

"One more."

The raven-haired boy demanded as he put the glass down with a loud thud. It was wrong to call him a boy though. He had grown up right before his eyes, from opponent on the other side of the net to an ally on the same side of the net; Ushijima has known the young setter for quite some years now.

He saw him nothing but just as a pest when they met for the first time. A nuisance if you will. He knew he had been harsh, disregarding blatant talent, drunk on arrogance, and confident in his ability to win. But how he was proven wrong!

He still remembers and regrets a bit what he said that day. Now that he knows why the genius setter wanted to be in Shiratorizawa, and how everyone makes mistakes and shouldn't be judged by their middle school days, yeah, he regrets it a little.

That's why without even realizing, he has come to care for the boy, no not boy, the man. And that's why after their victory against Argentina, he was very happy. He had once again defeated Oikawa and proven that the team with him in it was the strongest.

This time the burden didn't rely solely on his shoulders. They had accomplished this as a team. And he was happy that he had done so with a very reliable ally by his side. The setter had not just stopped by proving himself to Ushijima, but the entire world. And the entire world had watched as they talked to each other with a smile. They never need many words to communicate what the other was thinking, whether it was food, or a toss, or complete victory. They had established this trusted relationship since their days in Adlers. So yeah, he cares.

That's why when the entire Japan Men's Volleyball Team was busy celebrating, he had noticed that Tobio Kageyama was running away. Dashing towards the exit with a rush of someone being chased, and Ushijima had followed him. When he caught up with the setter and stopped him with a tug on his wrist, he was surprised. Kageyama didn't seem to know that he was calling after him nor did he recognize him.

He looked like he had seen a ghost. He was looking past Ushijima to some faraway place. His usually calm blue eyes were full of turmoil. Ushijima had never seen the setter look like this. He had an intensity to himself when he was on court but even then, he directed it with perfect precision. Right now, he looks anything but his calm self. For the lack of better word, he looked like a lost child.

And Ushijima's heart immediately went out to the boy. He gingerly put his left hand on the said boy's cheek.

"Tobio?" He tried to get his attention.

Tobio seemed to be coming back from wherever he had gone.

"Toshi Senpai?" He looked at him startled.

"What's wrong Tobio?" He asked gently.

"Ah, nothing."

They stared at each other, neither saying anything. Ushijima knew something was wrong, but he also realized it wasn't the time to probe for more information.

"Well then. Let's go back to the club, Tobio." Ushijima said as he started leading the setter by hand.

"No! Please No! I don't want to go back there, Senpai." Tobio resisted with pleading eyes.

That's how he ended up at a bar further away from their celebratory venue, with a very drunk Tobio on his hand. He wasn't gonna leave Tobio alone in that condition. He thought he could keep an eye on the boy, but clearly, he was failing by the way Tobio was downing one drink after another. He was also ignoring his insistent loud phone as it kept on ringing.