Chapter 2

Time continue to trickle by as the days carried on. The usual routine picked up and the only other person you had been seeing was Sam. As much as you despised him, you valued any living source you could get.
Majority of your time was spent sleeping, while the rest of it was sitting and waiting for nothing.

Today was no different.
The usual breakfast routine came and went, with Sam briefly checking in on you afterwards. You still hadn't touched your food.
Then lunch passed and you remained in the same usual spot. Still not even glancing at your meal.
And now, you were waiting for Sam to do his usual check-in before dinner.

With all this free time, you put in the effort to actually write something in those empty books he had left. You documented just about everything since you had arrived there.
The routine you had gotten down of Sam and when meals were planned. The route he had lead you through to your cell. The food he would sometimes leave you. The inventory in your depressing room. And of course, who might possibly come to visit you and Dream.

Then again, who would?

L'manberg had been destroyed because of Dream, and you faked your friendship with all of them whilst under his wing. Everyone trusted you, especially Tommy. Prior to all of this, it was no secret you were a "loyal" citizen of the fallen country.
But now that the truth was out, you might as well be in a deeper hole than Eret.

Then it all hit you.
You relived the looks on their faces when you appeared alongside Dream, back on the mountain. The insults Tommy had thrown at you, Tubbo's loss of words, and the smirk Dream had held. The intensity of the atmosphere all came flooding back.
It had been so easy to make them fall into the trap. The amount of adrenaline you felt when you lead them down into the inescapable base. Everything was going according to plan.

But then they had to show up.

Huffing, you leaned against the wall, still seated on the cot.
There had to be a way out of here. Dream was probably a few steps ahead of you, already finding possible ways to escape the Vault. Maybe he had a plan.

From what you've gathered, Sam always gave you breakfast at the peak of dawn. Sometimes, he'll check on you between breakfast and lunch, and will give you your next meal by noon. Dinner is always during the late afternoon. And then, the last time he checks on you is a few hours before midnight.
There were many slots in between where you were left alone. The only thing you couldn't grasp was how often he monitored those cameras.

Your eyes shifted to the only bed sheet you had and then glanced up at the device. Perhaps there was a way to cover it— hell, even break it. With it being at an awkward angle, it was possible to throw something at it. One of the books could probably break it.
You wanted to give it a try until you heard footsteps turn the corner.

Perhaps you could see Dream now.

Eagerly, you awaited Sam when he had arrived at your door. To say he was surprised to see you was an understatement; especially when you were never active and always stayed in the same spot when he came around. Black eyes and white irises met your gaze when he had pushed the upper slot open.

"I need to see Dream," you stepped forward. "Can you take me to him?"
He seemed taken aback by your request, not sure what to think of the first interaction you had been willing to make. You hadn't uttered a word to him until now

"State your purpose."

You put a hand on the door, easing closer. "I have to talk to him."
His eyes remained on you for a few moments before he looked away. "A meeting will have to be arranged, but that won't happen until next week."
"Why not now?" You pressed.
"Because your friend has already landed himself in quarantine."

Your thoughts wandered as he wrote something down in a notepad, which was held too low for you to see. What did he mean by quarantine? Was he sick or something?
Shaking your head, you turned to Sam. "Well, I need to see him. Right away."
He exhaled. "Not until he's out of the isolation process, you're not."
"What isolation process?" Anxiously, you pushed against the door. "He couldn't have gotten sick—", you glared at him, a possibility hitting you. "Unless, you gave him something?"
Sam did always seem odd, even before you found out about him creating the Vault. Always quiet and observing from afar. You wouldn't be surprised if this had been planned since Dream was captured.

"There would be no need," he reassured, continuing to write. You could hear the sounds of lead meeting paper. "Just like you, he's contained in this building and it will stay that way. If I really wanted him gone, well," his eyes landed on you. "That would've been dealt with sooner."

His last life.

You tried not to let it phase you, but you knew he could do the exact same thing to you. When Tommy and Tubbo had taken away everything, they not only took two lives from Dream, but they stole yours as well. Hell, if he didn't want to put up with you, he might as well end it right now.
You gathered yourself together. "Okay, but that doesn't answer my question."
Sam remained the same; content and unbothered. "Well, I'm afraid I can't tell you much more."
"Sam—" you started, but he cut you off.

"Next week. That's the only possible time."

Next week.
A sense of dread filled you as the reality of rotting in these walls for days hit you again. You didn't want to wait anymore. The rest of your life already consisted of waiting.
"Alright," you gave in. "It better happen."
He glanced at you. "I can't promise anything."

And with that, the slot closed.
The footsteps moved away from you, silence filling the room. You exhaled and moved to your cot, laying down. Dream better have something planned.

You had a pretty good layout of Sam's schedule, the only thing you needed to take care of was that camera and how you could escape when Sam wasn't looking. Even if he did catch up to the two of you, there was no possible way he'd be able to fend off you both by himself.
Not with Dream's skills and your strategies.

Surely, the gathered information would be of help. It could get you both somewhere, should he not have something down already. But that wasn't like him.

And then what would happen after you escape?
Well, it didn't matter.

Because you'll be free.

You'll be free and you'll run from this place.

It'll only be a matter of time.