Chapter 3 - City of the Dead

"He is neither the smartest, nor the fastest, nor the strongest of the spartans. But he is the bravest, and quite possibly the luckiest. And in my opinion, he is the best"

Dr. Catherine Halsey.

"Okay we're going to stay here tonight," Chief says to the others. It's midnight. Chief and the others have been walking for hours before deciding to stay the night in an abandoned house.

"Thank God, rest," Takashi says as he jumps onto a couch in the living room. Chief starts to survey the building. In a few minutes he is finished and leans over on a wall.

"Aren't you tired Chief? We've been walking for hours and you've been in that..." Rei looks at the full metal suit Chief is wearing which she hasn't even given a thought about before now. "Suit the whole time?"

"I've gone much further in this armour before."

"I wanted to ask. What exactly is it?"

"Who cares, let's just relax for a while," Takashi cuts in as he dozes off.

"That idiot, anyways if you could answer?"

"My apologies, but the armour is also sensitive information.

"Well then could I ask Cortana a little bit more about herself?"

"Sure, I'll answer anything I can," Cortana says through the armours systems.

"You said you were an A.I. but since we were in a hurry, we didn't really ask exactly what that was.

"An A.I. or Artificial Intelligence is an artificially created construct that exhibits intelligence similar to a sentient being."

"How are they made?"

"That I'm afraid is also classified. Anyways Chief I saw a computer upstairs, if there's still power I might be able to get more information on this crisis." Chief heads upstairs and is out of sight it seconds. Rei looks at Takashi who is passed on on the couch.

"Can't believe I'm saying this, but he's right, I should relax a little." Rei sits down on a recliner and falls asleep.

"Ok, let's see what I can find." Chief plugs Cortana's chip into the computer and she begins scanning any information she can find. "For starters, this isn't an isolated event. The whole world is going through this. There's an estimated 100 million dead in just one day. So far there's nothing on how this could've happened, not even on any government servers."

"Well so much for finding useful information." Chief goes to pull Cortana's chip.

"Wait! Ahhh!" Chief immediately pulls her chip

"What is it?"

"Something was uploaded then immediately purged. I tried to Purge me aswell From the glimpse I saw, it said U.N.S.C."

"How's that possible?"

"Plug me back in and I'll try to see if I can track the source." Chief complies but before she get's anywhere the computer shuts down. Chief removes Cortana's chip again and plugs it back into his helmet. "So much for that. The house's power grid went down."

"Time may be rewound, but reality continues forward."

"There's that voice again."

"In order to be strong, you must become weak."

"Who are you? Why are we here?"

"You are not the only one who must learn." The voice echos then disappears.