Chapter 5 - Contact

Chapter 5 - Contact

"I know we're losing. I want to know if we've lost"

Catherine-B320, August 23, 2552

"They're everywhere," Rei shouts.

"Keep firing, if they get too close we're dead," Hirano responds.

"Running low on ammo here," Chief and Six say almost simultaneously.

"They just keep coming," Takashi yells. After driving for close to an hour, the group comes across a road block, right as dozens of infected follow behind, leaving them no room to turn around. With no choice they start to fight. Takashi, Rei, and Saeko get out. Saeko rushes ahead with her bokken. Takashi readies his shotgun, but drops the ammo making him resort to using it as a bat. Rei tries her best at using her rifle, but is not too effective. Hirano, Takagi, and Alice Remain in the vehicle. HIrano proceed to shoot from the hatch on the roof. Chief and SIx remain on the other side of the road surrounded just the same. With no other option they continue to expend what limited ammo they have. The horde continues to grow separating the group further. Rei remains close to the vehicle while Saeko and Takashi get pushed further away. With no other choice they retreat up a flight of stairs leading to a different road as the horde follows them. Chief and Six are forced to back up down an alley as the just about run out of ammo. With the group divided they lose any ground they had.

"Come on let's move!" Takashi says grabbing Saeko's hand before running down the street. They slow down once they gain a bit of ground

"What's the plan now?" Saeko asks clearly out of breath.

"We head to Takagi's house same as before. Hopefully we meet up with them before that."

With next to no ammo left Chief and SIx retreat down the alley quickly gaining ground on the infected, but they continue to pursue. Once out of sight, they plan their next move.

"Any suggestions?" Six asks.

"Our main objective is to regroup with the rest. At this point we need weapons. As you see, we're down to our last few rounds in our magnums."

"Chief, there's a gun shop, 1.5 km from here. If we're lucky we might be able to find something useful. Placing the marker on your HUD now," Cortana assists.

"Objective located, let's move." The two spartans charge toward where the gun store's location as the infected start to appear down the road.

"Threats are inevitable. Species always have something to fear and fight against. Whether they overcome that threat is up to their own strengths and determination to survive. Let us spice up the pot while they're the most vulnerable."

"Another empty building." Chief and Six spend hours of searching abandoned buildings only to yield very little reward. Gun shops, hardware stores, tractor supply shops. All of them are picked clean of anything useful.

"Hard to believe nothing was missed."

"Given the current situation. Any scavengers have to be thorough or else they risk their lives. We have an advantage from our armour, but others don't so missing even one useful item could mean death."

"Let's move to the next building."

"On it Chief, next hardware store is half a kilometer away." With no expectation to find anything useful, they start traveling to the next building and wonder if the rest of the group has made it through their encounter. They exit the back of the hardware store and see something of concern.