Chapter 5: A Someone

Lily May POV

Helga is snoring when my phone rings. I look at the caller id, but do not recognize the number. I step out in the hallway so it won't bother her and press answer.

"Hello?"

"Um, yes is this Lily May? This is Link."

"Yeah, what's the matter?"

"I had a, er, question. Are you by any chance staying in the Palm Springs hotel?"

"Yeah we are! Are you?"

"Yeah, actually. Could you meet me downstairs in the restraunt?"

"Sure. I'll be right down."

"Alright, bye."

I'm in my pajamas, and it's almost 11pm, which is much later back home, so screw changing. I take the long elevator ride down to the lobby.

There is a couple in the elevator. The woman wears a sleek, form-fitting wine colored gown, and the man wears a suit. They give me a disapproving glance before I get off.

That's another thing you don't see much in Georgia. Here in California, the night is only young, and the city is just waking up. In Georgia, the normal people are in bed by eight (and by normal I mean people who aren't drug dealers or murders).

The hotel restraunt is high end, and I feel strange being here in my pajamas and messy hair. At least my teeth are brushed.

The lady looks horrified when I approach the check in desk.

"Um, yes can I help you find something?"

"Oh no, I was actually here to eat. I'm supposed to be meeting someone."

"Do you have a reservation?"

"Uh, no, you, see-"

"Oh, I know. A boy came in here a while ago and said that he was waiting on someone. Black hair?"

"Yeah, that's him."

"Alright, then you may go in."

I walk into the restraunt and cringe. They really meant it when they said this place was high end. There is people with bluetooths, people with laptops, people on dates, all dressed to the nines. I finally spot Link and walk over to the booth he is in.

He is wearing a tank top and flannel pajama pants, which he has attempted to pull jeans over. His hair sticks out in all directions and he's not wearing his glasses. He waves when he sees me.

"Hey Lily May. Glad to see i'm not the only person in the restraunt who isn't dressed up."

I laugh. "Yeah that was a bit awkward. Anyways what did you want to ask me?"

Link sighs and scratches his neck. "Where did Helga get the bruises on her arms?"

I wince. From what I've met of Link, I should've known this question was coming. I think it's extremely sweet of him to care so much about Helga, and I know that that's never happened to her before, but I know she'll be upset if I tell him. But I have to tell him, for her own good.

"Well, you see, she has a boyfriend. Bryant." I say his name with disgust. I hate Bryant.

"You mean, a guy did this to her?"

"They got together on a dare. Everything was fine at first, but then he met a girl named Lila, and, well, when he dates a girl, he expects her to do everything he says, and Helga doesn't work like that. So that's how he copes with that."

"Why doesn't she break up with him?"

"I ask myself the same question every single day, Link. I think she's afraid. She needs someone. She needs someone who will love her and care for her because, honestly, I'm afraid that she couldn't do it alone. She won't show you, but she's depressed. She needs someone. Someone who will love her for her. For Helga Geraldine Parker, horrible name and all."

Link stands up and smooths his shirt.
He looks me straight in the eye.

"I hope to God that someday she finds that someone."

I ride the elevator back up, this time alone, thinking about what Link had said. Could he be Helga's someone? I can tell he likes her, and she did agree to dance with him. I make a note to talk to Rhett about this tomorrow. I stick the key in the lock of the door.

Don't worry, Helga. You'll have a someone real soon.