Chapter 4: The Sacrifice

Ryan's POV

Damon and Stefan had gone to see Katherine, meaning I couldn't visit her until they left. The recent events had brought back memories from the past that I wanted to forget. But then again, when does anyone ever get what they want?

I sat down at my desk, opening a drawer, and taking out a sketchbook I left there, just incase I ever came back. I placed the book on the desk, before opening it to the first blank page. Then, I started to sketch.

I sketched Elijah. When I met someone new, I often did a sketch of them, so I could remember their face. Some people I sketched more than others, depending on their significance in my life or how good they looked.

Damon's POV

Stefan and I were leaning against the walls of the entrance to the tomb.

"Please, come on in. There's plenty of room for all of us," Katherine's voice greeted from somewhere inside the dark space. She looked out a little, so we could only see her head.

"I'd rather poke my eyes out," I told her, truthfully.

"There such pretty eyes," Katherine complimented.

"We're here for the moonstone," Stefan explained. If Katherine just handed us the moonstone, the world was ending. I was prepared for her to ask for something in return that would most likely only benefit her.

"Feel like tossing it over?" I asked her.

"Tell you what. Get your little witch to hocus-pocus me out of here, you can have whatever you want," Katherine bargained.

"I thought you liked it in here. Nice and safe, where Klaus can't get you," Stefan recalled her words from yesterday, when Elena and Ryan came to visit. Speaking of Ryan, I hadn't seen him for a while.

"I've had time to reconsider," Katherine lied.

"Meaning you're hungry," I stated, seeing how she looked weaker.

"I'm starving, Damon. And dirty. But above all, I'm bored. At least running from Klaus wasn't boring," Katherine explained, walking closer to us, "So here's the deal. You get me out of here...you get the moonstone and I'll disappear from Mystic Falls forever. Let me know what you decide."

With that, Katherine turned back into the tomb, while me and Stefan shared a look.

...

Ryan's POV

Somehow, my brothers convinced me to go with them to Elena's house. Apparently, when visiting Katherine, she bargained that if she was let out of the tomb, she'd give us the moonstone. I believed she was telling the truth, but I didn't voice my thoughts. My brothers would never let her out anyway.

"You don't believe her, do you?" Elena asked, worried. We were all standing around in the bright colored kitchen.

"No, of course not. We just want the moonstone," Damon stated.

"According to Rose's frined Slater, there's a way to destroy the spell that Klaus wants to break," Stefan explained. I knew that wasn't right. There was never an easy way out of these situations.

"No spell, no doppelgänger sacrifice. Ergo, you live," Damin explained simply. I took an orange and ate a slice of it, growing peckish.

"How do you destroy it?" Elena asked. She seemed like she wasn't that invested in the idea, which I couldn't blame her for.

"By releasing it from the moonstone," Stefan claimed. I put my hand over my mouth, trying to contain the chuckle that wanted to dance on my lips. That sounded ridiculous.