Prologue

The most powerful weapon on Earth,

Is the human soul on fire. 

Ferdinand Foch

Flames. 

That's all I can see. Not the bright, captivating red-orange color, it's the ethereal shade of white. And it's everlasting. It's circling around me, It's going to kill me.

I'm on some sort of battlefield, at least that's the only thing that comes to mind when there are miles and miles of grass on flat lands. There are so many people around me, I can't see them but I know they're there. I can hear them yelling and gasping, they know I'm going to die too.

This fire has trapped me. There's nowhere for me to go. I'm searching for a way out of here, any open space I can go through.

It's not the fire that scares me, I've always felt calm around any sort of flames. It's not the heat either, surprisingly it doesn't feel like it would blister my skin, it feels cold like wind is blowing on me. Nothing scares me as much as being trapped.

I've been trapped my entire life, locked away in an abandoned estate. I was ripped away from my parents at the age of four. Forced into isolation before I could walk. Nobody has ever told me why.

I look around once more praying to whomever to help me find a way out of here. Get me out. I hear a noise, it's different from the shouting from everyone else.

"Kenna!" I hear my name, this is different, I never hear my name.

I snap my head towards the noise and through the thick white flames, I see a pair of grey eyes. Scared greys eyes looking directly into mine.

🗡🗡🗡🗡🗡🗡

My eyes open as I gasp for air.

It was another dream.

I've been having the same dreams as long as I can remember. I'm always on a field of some sort with fire circling me, but this dream was different.

Usually I can't see anyone or hear anything specific. I saw someone though, and not only that he said my name. At least I think it was a he, I couldn't tell but it sounded like a boy's voice.

As I'm fully back into consciousness I tell myself that wasn't real, it will never be real. As far as I'm concerned I will be locked away in this estate for the rest of my life. I'll never be free of this isolation and it's the royal family's fault.

I don't know much but I do know King Camden along with his queen locked me away in this estate and have kept me here. I'm not allowed to see my mother or father, I don't even know if they are alive and well. I don't know if I have a brother or sister or if my parents even miss me. Do they ever think of me?

It does me no good to sit here and think of these things, especially at night. These thoughts will have to wait for another day.

I won't be able to fall back asleep, I know I won't, I never do. But there is no where else to go since there are three guards outside my door every night.

I lay back down and try to go back to sleep.

I fail.