Found

Dad kept looking at me, his stare was deep. He demanded to know where I had gone off to, if Ziva really had told the truth this time. I stood there in front of the door shivering.

"C-C-Can I get a b-blanket?" I looked towards Ziva.

She took my good arm and pulled me towards her room. I followed behind wishing I could've apologized to dad for the way I stormed in the house.

"That.. The dog.. Why did.. Where did it go?! Did it follow you?" Ziva locked her bedroom door and gave me her fluffy paw print blanket.

"Yess.." I rolled my eyes sarcastically. "Because every dog wants to follow my fat ass home." We laughed together. "I waited for it to leave. Your books are by the front door."

"Thanks, Kerry." Ziva hugged me. "Oh and by the way, dad is angry because we didn't come straight home."

"I hadn't noticed." I chuckled and left the room.

Dad was sitting at the kitchen table. He always did that when I was about to get yelled t. But he just looked at me with his old tired eyes. His cheeks were tear stained and his eyes blood red. I sat next to him and held him. It was like the night mom disappeared.

I sighed into his messy hair and felt him softly sob against me. I called for Ziva to come downstairs.

"Dad.. it's okay.." Ziva ran over and joined me in comforting dad. "We won't do that again. We promise."

Dad looked up at me, his entire face was red but he forced a smile.

"I know, girls. It's just.. I don't know.. I want you to be safe. I couldn't keep her safe but I can at least try with you." He hugged us back.

"It's okay, dad. We're here now." I had never seen dad so upset, never seen him cry. Ever.

"The police station called." He said in his tired voice. "They found your mother. She's in a hospital." He let out a soft cry. "She's okay."

That night, his words went in my mind over and over

'They found your mother. She's in a hospital. She's okay.'