Good Hearts

((Authors note
Wolf POV))
~~
I went back to the lake, it was warmer than the day before. I remembered the girls that stood on the other side. The one that ran and the one that stayed. I didn't catch their names but I was determined to see them again. It didn't take long until I reached the lake and saw them on the other side. I was tempted to howl and tell my family, but I didn't want to scare them off again.

The two girls stood there, watching me. Had I changed? Had I morphed by mistake? I looked at my reflection in the water, nope, still me. Then what was it?

The one girl seemed frightened. I wanted to show her that I didn't mean any harm, I didn't mean to scare her. I got in the lake and swam, well, doggie paddled, over to them. I wagged my tail, happy to see them and shook off the water. Next thing I knew, I was being attacked by the one who looked like she was terrified only moments before.

I could feel her slaps and punches through my thick fur coat. But if didn't phase me, I knew it was out of fear. I learned her name was Ziva, she had a beautiful name. But her temper was about as stable as an active volcano in Hawaii.

My ears went back, had I done something wrong? The girl, who's name was apparently Kerry, got rid of her and I gave her a kiss as a 'thank you'.

We lied down in the grass as the lake gently nudged my back.

She told me how when they were little they were inseparable. Now they had begun to grow apart, Kerry was scared they would be mortal enemies by the time they were in college. She told me other stories too.. But the best story was about their dad. How he always stood by them even if they were wrong. I wished my father was like that.. He's the alpha though, his word is correct above all else. After a few stories, I fell asleep and so did Kerry.

I only woke when Kerry was petting my head and hugging me. She said she had to leave, it was curfew. I licked her arm again, she was worth every kiss. I knew I would protect her from the minute I laid eyes on her.