Intro (part 2)

Trapped. Caged. Abused. That's what happens to us abandoned beings. To us who are different. Who are a bit off in the head or even just born... extraordinary.

All my life I've been treated like I'm nothing. I was seen like a thing, not a person. Being born as an experiment of a werewolf mother and a wolf father, I was treated as nothing more than that. Until I was free. If only for a few days.

For the long first 16 years of my life I grew up in this horrible institution where I was trapped in a cell the whole time, unless I was taken somewhere because I was needed for an experiment or a check up. I knew that I had an older brother in there and that he and my mother were locked up in a cell just like me. Yet I was never able to interact with them. I was only able to get a glance at them from time to time when I passed them by in a corridor. All the social interaction I had was being dragged around and abused by humans. Therefore you can imagine that I've developed a striking hatred towards this species.

I had basically given up on ever having an actually enjoyable life when my mother surprised me by unlocking the door of my cell and guiding me and my brother out of the maze of countless halls. When she opened the last door and we breathed the fresh air for the first times in our lives, I was hit by a feeling I've never known.

Hope.

Excitement.

Curiosity.

Freedom.

My first instinct was to run, as fast and as far away from this place as possible, and that's what we did. We ran for hours before we stopped in a heavily overgrown spot in the middle of the woods, where my mother told us we would be safe. I had never set a foot outside of the prison I grew up in, so I had no better opportunity but to trust her. At first at least.

We were four werewolves hiding from the humans who had trapped us. Abused us. It was my mother, my brother, me and a male with who she had come up with the escape plan. I stuck with them for a few days before I dared to go on a trip on my own, which turned out to be the biggest mistake of my life.

I was caught again and made unconscious while carried to yet another prison, a psych ward this time. When I woke up, I was back in a cold empty cell, surrounded by humans who felt like they were superior and invulnerable to my attacks, when really, they needed all kinds of equipment to make me calm and nearly cooperative.

I was back in a cage and it would be a lie to say that I wasn't used to it. And yet, I wasn't the same. The few days I had spent outside, in which I had experienced what life and freedom could be like, had given me motivation for the first time ever. I've always had endurance and ambition in fighting the guards and scientists around me, but the new experiences had given me a new reason, and with that, new strength.

Now I wasn't only fighting against the humans.

I was fighting for freedom.

I may be back in hell, but these humans don't know what beast they have locked up in here. I'm more than done following their plans, so I hope for them that I will make it out of here soon.

~ Abby