Chapter 38

After spending the entire morning and some of the afternoon with my lawyer, walking into work fills me with some confidence. I'm happy my divorce proceedings have started and within the next few days, Chris will be served with the divorce papers.

It'll come as a shock to him that I want a divorce but it doesn't really matter what he thinks. All that matters to me right now is getting out of this shambles of a marriage.

From the look on Andrea's face as I pass her on my way into my office, I know Chris isn't in the office. If he was, she'd be nodding slightly as a silent way of telling me that he's in.

"Any mail for me today, Andrea?" I ask before stepping into my office.

"Everything's on your desk and so is the paperwork you need to sign off on," she responds. She flashes me a small smile and I return it before walking into my office.

I walk straight for the desk, sit my bag on top of it, and pick up the pile of envelopes that's sitting neatly on the desk. I scan through them quickly, most of them likely being confirmation letters and bills which aren't as important as the ones marked 'Urgent'.

On a sigh, I drop the letters back onto the desk and shrug out of my black trench coat. The coat falls to my wrists when my eyes fall on the bouquet of flowers sitting on the coffee table at the sitting area. I stare intensely at the flowers while walking towards them and drop my coat onto to the chair.

I inspect the white rose and lily array of flowers, my eyes ultimately looking for a card to see who they're from, but I can't find one. The bouquet is beautiful and judging by the looks of it, they're on the luxurious end of the scale.

"Andrea," I call.

"Yes?" Andrea asks when she's in my office.

I look over at her and point down to the flowers. "Where did these come from?"

"I don't know," she answers. "They weren't here when I brought in the mail and paperwork."

"And when was that?"

"Before lunch."

"Was there anyone in the office during lunch?"

"Not that I'm aware of, no. I locked your office door before leaving and opened it back up when I returned from lunch."

I nod and look down at the flowers. I believe her when she says they weren't here when she was in and if anyone tried to go into my office, I know for a fact that she would stop them from going any further than the threshold.

I know Josh isn't in today as he's dealing with a supplier for the Weybridge house. I don't know what it is he's dealing with, but I know I can rule him out of being the one who has left me the flowers. Plus, if he was going to give me flowers, he'd just give them to me at the townhouse. It'd look suspicious if he were to give me the flowers here.

That only leaves one person.

I take a step away from the flowers.

"Has Chris been in at all today?" I ask, my voice quivering as I ask.

"He was just before lunch," Andrea informs.

"Did he leave before or after you at lunch?"

"He had a lunch meeting, so he would no doubt have been in his office for the entire lunch hour."

And there it is! I knew it would have been too good to be true. I knew he'd never leave me alone, especially when we work together.

"Andrea, get rid of them." I walk over to my desk and take a seat. "Now would be great."