Angel Collins

{{Trigger Warning:
            Slight mention of Suicide}}

           I sat at my kitchen table, watching my mother speeding around me, she was mumbling to someone on the phone and hardly gave me a second glance, per usual. She was such a hard working woman, she didn't have time for petty things like me. She only had me because my dad wanted her to.
          She finally hung up on the phone and grabbed her stuff and walked to the door, telling me her usual lecture, of "stay out of trouble and stay away from the forest". She then quickly rushed out, leaving me at the table alone as I nibbled my breakfast burrito. Dad was still asleep, I should probably awake him so he could start his work as well. My dad was a famous photographer, Karson Collins.
            I stood up after stuffing my mouth full with the rest of my food and put my plate at the counter to be hand washed. I then walked to my parents bedroom. I slipped the door open and crept in and looked at my sleeping father. I then ran and jumped on the bed with a loud thump and nudged him.
            "Woaaaahh-" he said groggily as he was startled awake with a yawn. "Settle down there, child" he said rolling over and wrapping his well built arms around me to pretend wrestle me. I laughed and tried to wiggle away. Eventually breaking free I pouted a bit. "Dad needs to get up, or me as your manager might fire you" I said in a fake grumpy voice which made him laugh.
             Him and I had a joke I was his boss since as a photographer he basically worked for himself. But he liked to keep me involved with his life, so he let me help out here and there. I slid off his bed and stuck my tongue out. "Better get out of bed, lazy head. Or ill make a second breakfast and eat it allll by myself" I said with a grin as I ran out of the room and into the kitchen to cook for him. I made him two burritos and set them on a plate and poured orange juice, placing the dishes on the table for him.
              He eventually came out and smiled at me as he sat down and began eating, dramatically fawning over it, to give me encouragement. I smiled more and nodded sliding on my converse and grabbing my shoulder bag. "Now thag you're awake, Mom asked you to do laundry! Im off to do some of my own practice Photoshoot" I said rushing to the door and glancing over my shoulder at him. He nodded and choked to finish eating. "Mm. Thtay away from the foretht. And be smart, Angel"
           I nodded and rolled my eyes with a grin. "Have a good day, Dad!" I called before exiting and chuckling to myself. I hopped down the porch stairs and into the sidewalk, walking down my street, thinking deeply.
           My parents, Karson and Mari, married at age 23 and 21 on a cold September afternoon. They told me stories of their wedding many times, Mom was a business major in a four year college, and my father had started his own photography business after a two year college graduation. They met when my father visited her college to take photos for some homecoming event at her college.
              Eventually i was born when my father was 29 and my mother 27. My dad raised me the most because my mother rushed back to work as soon as she got of parental leave or something. They named their kid "Angel Collins" a young child born in a boy's body. Dad named me that because he said I looked like an ethereal being when I was born, a perfect caramel color.
               Though I didn't grow up the perfect son. Growing up i preferred the finer things in life, having a kind of mixed preference of masculinity and femininity. By age 13, I realized my true gender. Since I was born ethereal, I could claim no gender. I was simply agender/ gender neutral. It felt natural for me, a sort of, Euphoria when my father first supported me and called me his child, instead of son.
               My mother however didn't approve of this change. When I first came out to her, as usual she was on the phone, but as the words slipped put of my mouth. She silenced quickly and hung up, turning to me with a look that said "you should be strung up for saying something like that" and even once i explained it to her, she cursed me and said it was all my father's fault for naming me a girl's name and being to soft on me. Since then. She hasn't spoken much to me, unless it is to lecture me. I was 13 when I cane out. I am now 17. It's been four years.
            By the time I drifted out of my thoughts of my life, I noticed i had subconsciously walked to the edge of the beginning of the forest, the place my parents had warned me to stay away from. My eyes wandered around it, eventually looking deep into it, I took a step towards it, a certain chill ran down my spine and goosebumps flooded my freckled arms. Most people didn't dare go near this forest. There had been long old stories of murders, and beasts, and spirits, along with some suspected su*c*de. It was almost illegal to go inside.
I couldn't help myself and looked around behind me before walking into the forest, my chest beating fast from adrenaline as my feet crunched on the leaves below me on the grass. As soon as one step happened, another one followed. I ended up subconsciously walking and walking non stop, my heart beating like a tribal drum. I pushed and pushed till I finally opened my eyes. When had i close them? What happened? Where was I?
I glanced around me frantically and couldn't tell where i had come from. My head spun as I breathed heavily but my body had drained from losing my adrenaline now. The forest was dark around me and almost smoky. I gulped and rubbed my temples on my head. I had no idea what to do now.