Chapter 6

The words "We've spotted him, your highness!" were called out loudly, reaching all throughout the ship and causing all inhabitants to shift from placid and uncaring to vigilant and alert in an instant. King River followed the shouting sailor's finger with his eyes, squinting in the bright morning sun, and spotted a ship in the distance. On its flag was a pirate symbol—Ludo's treacherous emblem. The white silhouette of a great bald eagle, its wings spread out in a glorious arc, rested on top of a large spider. The pale hue of the symbol contrasted brilliantly against the black background of the hoisted banner.

They sailed after the pirate ship, gradually approaching it as it made no sudden attempt to flee from its pursuers. When the royal vessel had come close enough to the ship to touch it, hooks were flung over its side and it was pulled in beside them, much to the monsters on board's surprise.

Standing at the quarter deck of the ship and glaring menacingly at the oncoming attackers was its captain, Ludo. "Well, well, well," he sneered. "What have we here?"

The Mewnan crew stood in position at the edge of the ship facing Ludo and awaiting orders to lower the planks and storm in. The King stood up as tall as he could make himself and bellowed, "Release my daughter, you fiend!"

Ludo chortled amusedly. "The princess? She's not here, you fool!" Several monsters let out a small chuckle.

River's eyes went wide and he grabbed at his beard. "You.. the...—"

Tom stepped forward, his brow furrowed. "Nonsense. You didn't do a very good job at covering your tracks," he said, pulling out the feather found in Star's room and presenting it to the crowd in front of him. "They must be holding her captive inside of the ship."

"Yes!" King River nodded his head in agreement. "Find her!"

At his command, the Royal crew charged onto the ship, engaging in a tight battle with the monsters. Tom watched as River rushed into the fray, his lips parted while a war cry erupted from them.

Nonchalantly looking at the scene and then out over the water, he pulled a handheld mirror out of his satchel. It was a rustic gold, bestrewn with an assortment of beautiful jewels. Tom gazed at his reflection in the object and whispered a few words to it.

As if he had never been there in the first place, the clash carried on, the Mewmans determined to find their princess and the monsters determined to defeat their attackers.

•·················•·················•

Star awoke the same way she had the previous day. Lying on the cold, hard floorboards while the vessel she inhabited rocked back and forth. She was still dressed in the navy blue dress from last night's dinner. The blonde sat up and groaned. Her head was pounding, sharp and heavy.

Last night's dinner? She thought to herself. What... happened?

She placed a hand to her temple and massaged it as she tried to recall the events of the previous night. They had sat down for a meal in Marco's cabin. There was stew, and—no. She hadn't. Had she had more than just a sip of the rum?

Star got to her feet and looked around the room for a change of clothing. There was nothing of interest, just the bunk next to her, the plain sheets ruffled from her slumber.

Discouraged and definitely not in the mood to go out and interact with the crew, the princess slumped back onto the bed and pulled the sheets over her.

Just as she was getting comfortable, the door shot open and sunlight poured into the dim cabin. A large BANG! Shortly ensued as it smacked the adjacent wall.