Chapter 17.

Xavier's P.O.V

War is an ugly thing. But not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic  feeling which thinks that nothing is worse than war is much worse.

"How many men are prepared Ryker?" I asked, cold. My brother shifted his golden eyes downwards at the valley below. He rubbed his strawberry blonde hair, bidding his time.

"A hundred odd, Sire. All battle hardened and combat worthy soldiers," he announced, though his eyes did not match his proud tone. A hundred was nothing, pitiful. But we wouldn't need much to kill a few puppies. I quirked an eyebrow, boring down on him with cold eyes. "Good, have them ready in two days, am I clear?"

His eyes flashed at the frost that lined my words. "Yes sire," he replied before disappearing into the shadowy forest. Leaving me alone with my thoughts.

I slowly moved to a fallen log and slumped against it. Leaning my head back against it sun-warmed wood. I opened my bright silver eyes slowly, gazing upwards towards the sky. Where Emily would watch over me from, until I can finally be reunited again. I let a small smile etch its way onto my tight lips. Such things as 'smiles' don't come very easily, not since Emily was killed....

I closed my eyes once again and allowed my tensed muscles to slowly uncoil. My body instantly relaxed as I absorbed the meager sunlight the trees of this bloody forest provided. I lay comfortably still as thoughts of Joseph's spouse death fast approaching. I allowed myself a wicked smile at the thought. If you can't kill your target kill the next best thing, his loved ones.

I felt myself tense up as I felt a presence moving swiftly through the forest towards me. I suddenly jumped to my feet and whirled around to meet my attacker. I stood poised and ready as the brush trembled. Out popped a small dusty brown rabbit. A rabbit. A fucking rabbit scared me! I grumbled under my breath and sat back down against my log. I closed my eyelids and tilted my head skyward once more. A soft breeze racked the leaves and brush around me.

There was a faint rustling of grass moving nearby. Curious. I opened my left eye. The rabbit had hoped closer to me, less than 3 feet away already. "Just because I don't smell like a werewolf doesn't mean I won't eat you," I hissed, closing my eye once more. The grass rustled again, cutting through the sounds of the forest swaying with the summer wind. I felt a sudden, small weight upon my lap. My eyes flared open and I turned my gaze downward.

The small rabbit had curled up on my lap and closed its large black eyes. "Listen here you little shit," I snarled as I grabbed the creature by its scruff. It squealed and bucked frantically against my iron hard grip. "You don't mess with a king!" I snarled slowly opening my jaws for a delectable meal that awaited me. The little creature suddenly stopped squirming and looked up at me with large pleading eyes. My path to its throat faltered slightly as it locked eyes with me. We stared at each other for what felt like hours.

With a frustrated and disappointed sigh I set it back down on a small patch of grass beside me. "Leave before I change my mind. I've drank my fill today," I murmured as I closed my eyes yet again, turning my head to the baby blue sky above. Large, puffy clouds dotted its endless surface. And somewhere above all of that is Emily. Are you proud of me Emily? I'm going to avenge you. I even spared a rabbit. You know those little mouse-like creatures you love?

As usual I got no reply. But my answer was clear. I was doing the right thing. I was doing the right thing.

(Brittany's POV)

I threw a pillow at the door as hard as I could. "Go. The. Fuck. Away." I growled loudly before flopping back onto the bed. Seth's lean arms immediately wrapped around me. I smiled and curled into his chest, breathing in his sweet rain-like scent. Some one banged on the door again, more urgently. Seth raised his head tiredly before I could snap at the person again. "Come in!" he called. I huffed and pulled a blanket over my head. Warding off the evil sunlight that took away my bloody nighttime.