chapter one: sky

It was a Sunday, 2nd of May; I visited the library as usual trying to look smart, but it's actually me just escaping the bad omen in my home. Home is... how do I explain it? Not cool. 

There's lots of chores to do, dishes to wash, talk about these pruny hands of mine from washing the damn dishes every now and then also disinfecting the groceries and other household items, then studying, working and then making time to talk to Inara, the greatest best friend in this whole damned universe... it's not much but it's honest work

Yeah, I wanted everyone to know that I am friendly despite me looking (and talking) like total shit all the time. The name's Adria, just your totally average girl in this totally shitty life. 

Look, I may yap and talk lots but honestly I'm a good kid, or that's what my mama used to say. She was the only one who believed in me before she was taken by the darkness, an old entity that's massive it divides itself to haunt people randomly. If you see one approaching, you have to move pronto, asap, idk as quickly as you fucking can since those things can hurt you. They turn you to ash and you die without leaving a trace here on Tehra. It sounds like Earth, a so called 'beautiful planet' that was discovered by some scientists long ago, I used to read about it in some articles since I love reading strange things. I wonder if it's real.

Anyways, what am I doing in the library you ask? Why of course, skulking from everyone, also from the darkness haha.. but more importantly from home. 

"You'll get yourself killed if you step a foot outside of this door." huh I used to hear my brother-in-law saying that, so I jumped out the door.

"I didn't take a step so I'll be fine." I smiled at him with an evil grin to know how serious I was in going.

"I'm telling you, if the darkness gets you we wouldn't remember you anymore, you'd be all alone and scared." he keeps on pressing me to not go.

Please, I even remember mama being taken by the darkness, why do they lie about it in the books?

Legends say that the darkness originally came from the Yin and Yang of the world; the balance between man and God, two people who became one to form day and night, positives and negatives, light and dark. But as soon as the Yin had learned that she can finally be whole without the other, she knew that she'll be too powerful even the light won't be able to balance things out anymore. Every command she makes will be granted, even the most impossible of things will be made possible, she will be indestructible. 

So she went through Yang's portal and multiplied and multiplied until every last drop of him was no more, balance was never found ever again.

That's why the darkness exist, they still keep on multiplying, trying to take innocent souls for the darkness to grow and become stronger. No one has ever tried to defeat the darkness because no one knows how and they end up getting turned before they could escape.

So we lived life like this, adapting and knowing how to evade the darkness by teaching us how to evade and evacuate at school, programs like surviving the darkness taught by the government, and so on and so forth. It's working, but then sometimes people chicken out or become evil themselves so they voluntarily join the darkness because the darkness would bargain people before taking them fully, legends says you either become a henchmen of the darkness, granting an ultimate wish you desire in return for helping darkness to take more souls, or be consumed by the darkness. Either way, you'll be ash on Tehra and no one will remember you, but it's weird 'cos there are documents of people remembering their loved ones being turned, some are written, others typewritten and some are found on books here at the library, so I was wondering why do some people don't remember their loved ones at all after being turned?

I walked out the library with my laptop on hand and my bag containing my other stuff and went home. Unsurprisingly, I didn't get turned. I don't see much darkness lurking around me every time I went outside, and that my brother's scares don't affect me, because it didn't happen to me yet...

It's only a matter of time before I become one of them.