Chapter One (Reader)

READER POV

You huff as you take out one last box from the trunk of your brother's car.

"Are you sure you're going to be able to do that all by yourself?" He asks you.

You give him a firm nod, but deep inside, you were already wondering if you could actually do it yourself. You had to take up ten boxes of your belongings up to the 7th floor of the building. The building is relatively new and has a fully-functioning elevator, but you weren't so sure how you could bring the boxes from the lobby to the elevator in one go.

"Yeah, I'm sure I can find a way." You say to your brother. "I mean, you've got a clinic to go to. I don't want you to be late, either."

Your brother looks at you in thought before nodding and driving away. Once you see his car disappear around the corner, you let out a deep sigh. There goes your help. You probably won't be able to finish moving all your things into the apartment before you have to go to work. You are left with no other choice but to do it the hard way.

You try to look around if there's anyone else who could be of help, but there's no one. After all, most buildings nowadays rarely require people to physically do work. Any information you need is on a screen, and you just happened to come at a time when most of the people are out of their homes.

"Strategy over strength, you can do this." You say to yourself.

You take two boxes at a time, opting to carry the boxes in pairs to the elevator. It takes about fifteen minutes, but you're finally able to carry all of the boxes to the front of the elevator arranged in two stacks.

You press the button of the elevator going up, taking these few seconds to catch your breath. In a few seconds, the elevator doors open, and you see a man wearing a black cap and a black face mask. You give him a small greeting, and he gives you a small nod in return.

You knew that you needed help, but at this point, you were honestly too shy to ask a stranger to help you. You quickly begin moving the boxes one at a time into the elevator, making sure that they're all in a corner. The man steps outside the elevator and looks at the stack of boxes waiting outside.

"Excuse me, do you need any help?" He says, voice slightly muffled by his mask.

You look over to him, sweat forming on your forehead from the physical work and the embarrassment. "Hm? Well, yes, but if you're busy it's alright."

"No, it's fine, I can spare a few minutes."

Just like that, he helps you load the boxes into the elevator, easily moving them to form two stacks over at the corner.

"Which floor?" He asks.

"The 7th." You reply, giving him a small bow of both thanks and apology.

He takes out a card and taps it on the sensor just below the elevator buttons. After a small beep, he presses the button for the 7th floor and the elevator doors close momentarily.

"I'm sorry--I mean, thanks. For helping me out." You say quietly. "I just moved here, my name is y/n."

"No problem. My name is Lee Seokmin, I live over on the 10th floor." He pulls down his black mask, revealing the mole at the center of his cheek. "Must be tough, having to move all of those things by yourself."

"Well, kind of my fault for trying to do it on my own. I have other roommates that could have helped me, but they won't be arriving until next week."

Just then, the elevator doors open and he helps move the boxes from the elevator to the hallway. "Which room?" Seokmin asks after all of the boxes have been successfully taken out.