Chapter Nine

Max flipped on the light as we walked through the front door. "Mom? Dad?" He called out for them.

"We got a new cat!" Dani yelled happily.

"Mom?" I asked following, Dani upstairs.

"Well, I guess they're still partying. Come in." I heard Max say.

Dani got Binx a bowl of milk, which he drank happily. "You're my kitty now. You'll have milk and tuna fish every day. And you'll only hunt mice for fun."

"You're going to turn me into one of those fat, useless, contented house cats."

Dani giggled, "You betcha."

I laid down on Max's bed with Dani in my arms and Binx in her's. "You know, Binx, I'll always take care of you. My children will take care of you, too. And their children after that. Theirs after that. Forever and ever and ever." She said and we all fell asleep.

...

"Dani!" I heard Max yell running up the stairs. Mary and Winnie just grabbed us. Sarah was hiding under the covers, pretending to be Dani and moving the pillows to look like me. They brought us to the closet where Dani and I were hiding only hours before.

"Max, the book is gone." Allison spoke softly. "I'm telling you, something weird.

"Dani, Y/N. Wake up." Max said tearing the covers away, revealing Sarah.

She scared him and Max jumped, backing towards the closet. Then Winnie opens the closet doors and she pushed me to Max. "She is too old. We will make due with this one." She said, referring to Dani.

She shot a spell from her spell book at us and knocked Max and I over his drum set. Allison then started to dump salt all around her. "Salt!" Winnie gasped. "What a clever little white witch." She said, now smiling. "But it will not save thy friends. No. Come, sisters. The candle's magic is almost spent. Dawn approaches.

"Max! Y/N! Allison!" Dani screams.

They beak through the top of Max's tower and fly away.

"Dani!" Allison shouts after her. She runs down the stairs and moves the drum things out of the way. "Are you guys okay?" She asks.

"Yeah, yeah." I say. "How did they know we were here?"

After Max and Allison explained what happened, I went in a panic. My little Dani is gone.

We hear her singing but it doesn't put us in a trance. "Hey, you guys! Don't listen to her! Hey, up here!"

"Max! Y/N! I figured it out!" Allison says grabbing our shoulders.

"What?" I ask.

"Winifred said, 'The candle's magic will soon be spent. As dawn approaches.' The Black Flame Candle only brought them back for this one Halloween night. And unless they can steal the lives of children, when the sun comes up, they're dust."

"Yeah, but how can we make the sun come up? They've got Dani." I say looking down. My Dani.

"We need a miracle." Max says.