Shocking Truths

_______Jason_______

Jason awoke to the sound of thunder. 

After the campfire, when people started heading back to their cabins, Jason had gone up to Piper and Kat and formally asked them to join him on the quest. 

Piper had still been in a state of shock but was doing much better than he thought she would have been. He supposed it was probably because the same thing happened to Kat and they could sort of relate to each other on what happened. 

Kat, on the other hand, looked rather annoyed at in her greek-style chiton. He guessed it was pretty embarrassing for her to be claimed in such a dramatic way. She agreed to go on the quest with him quite graciously though. She wasn't rubbing her arms like Piper was doing, but he figured it was because she was the daughter of Boreas, the god of winter, and had a natural resistance to the cold. Despite that fact, Jason still insisted that she take a blanket. 

He wrapped the blanket around her shoulder like a cape. The blanket was overly thick fluffy and it looked quite ridiculous with the fancy getup. He tried to stifle a laugh at the way the blanket looked, earning a glare from her.  Then she looked down at her getup and she too, couldn't help but laugh at the way it looked. He was glad she felt a little better. 

He was glad Kat was going with him on the quest. Jason had tried to act brave at the campfire, but it was just that- an act. The idea of going up against an evil force powerful enough to kidnap Hera scared him witless, especially since he didn't even know his own past. He'd need help, and it felt right to have Kat next to him. She was experienced and he felt like he could rely on her and he found a little comfort in her amongst all the strangers he had just met. 

But things were already complicated without figuring out whether he liked her or not. He in this 'mist-relationship' with Piper and he felt guilty about her. Even though it wasn't his fault, she had believed that he was her boyfriend and he felt bad about messing with her head. And there was Katerina. Jason was sure he had a reasonable amount of affinity for the girl. He was just not sure which side it leaned to. Friendly or romantic. 

*

Jason picked up one of the photos that had fallen from the wall. It was a strip of pictures like you'd take in a do-it-yourself photo booth: Annabeth and the sandy-haired guy, but with another girl between them. She was maybe fifteen, with black hair-choppy like Piper's-a black leather jacket, and silver jewelry, so she looked kind of goth. 

"That's Thalia," someone said. 

Jason turned. 

Annabeth and Kat were peering over his shoulder. Kat gave him a casual wave and he realized Annabeth was the one who said it. Her expression was sad, like the picture brought back hard memories. "She's the other child of Zeus who lived her."

"Sorry, we should have knocked," Kat said giving him an apologetic look. 

"It's fine," Jason said. "Not like I think of this place as home." 

Annabeth was dressed for travel, with a winter coat over her camp clothes, her knife at her belt, and a backpack across her shoulder. 

Kat was too dressed for travel, in a lilac-colored hoodie, with a cream-colored sweater underneath it, paired with jeans and boots and her sword strapped to her side. She was also carrying a backpack. 

Jason said, "Don't suppose you've changed your mind about coming with us?" 

Annabeth shook her head. "You got a good team already," she smiled at Kat and gave him a nod. "I'm off to look for Percy."

Kat didn't look surprised at the news. "Be safe." She said as she patted her shoulder. 

Annabeth looked a little relaxed at her words and said a "you too." She mentioned that she had to depart now, asked Kat to explain from here. Kat and Jason both said their goodbyes and she left the Zeus cabin, leaving Kat and Jason alone.