2: The little note

Nicks POV

"Shampoo Project" I kept reading it over and over in my head. What a dumb choice, and to add salt to the wound, I get the insufferable, late popular guy. Everyone knows him and it sounds like he has a huge extravagant party every weekend. I couldn't believe that this was happening.

I thumbed through the packet reading the materials and procedures. I couldn't help but feel Jay's eyes burning into my side profile. I tried to ignore it but it was as if he was tracing every bend in my face, every line, and wrinkle like he was memorizing me.

After about 5 minutes I could not take it. I looked at him and began to open my mouth to give him a piece of my mind but I was met inches from his face. Peering into his crystal blue eyes and shaggy blond hair. I quickly looked away, my cheeks flushed red heating up every second I relived feeling his breath against my face.

"J-jay, I umm" I clumsily state, "This is a hard project, we'll need to spend some time on this outside of class," I say trying to hide my face. "I figured we would, that's why I chose it, old sport!" Jay says nonchalantly. Just then the bell rang, he promptly stood up, slip a small piece of paper to me, and left.

I quickly put everything into my backpack in an orderly manner including whatever Jay had just given me. I didn't have time to focus on that right now ill deal with him later. For now, off to English class.

I went straight there "to be early is to be on time", usually I would just pull out my book and start where I left off, but I loved English and my teacher, Mrs.read, I always chatted with her before class and would eat lunch in her room rather often.

"Hey Nick!" She says enthusiastically. "I have an amazing opportunity for you!"

"Oh? Well don't be shy, what is it?" I say setting my stuff down and walking back over to her desk.

"A month or two from now; we, as an English department, are going to London. We are looking at architecture and poetry, famous museums. It truly is a wonderful trip and I would love to have you there!" She says delighted about the idea of traveling.

"That sounds amazing!" I say as she hands me a pamphlet. "I'll definitely think about it." Just as we finish our conversation the bell rings and class starts.

I slid the pamphlet in my bag and a small piece of paper I had forgotten was there, fell out and landed on the floor. Ah the Gatsby paper, I unfold the haphazardly ripped piece of paper to reveal in overly fancy handwriting for such an informal note. "Gatsby's number and address (xxx)-xxx-xxxx 235 Middle Neck Road, East egg" I sigh and take out my phone typing his information in them quickly putting into it then putting it away and zoning back into class.

~Time Skip~

The bell rings. Everyone promptly gets up and shuffles out of the room. "Bye Mrs.Read! Thank you!" I say while walking out of her classroom. "Bye Nick! Think about the trip!" She calls back. I walk down the hallway checking my phone. I decided I should text Jay about the project.

I type slowly into the phone, "Hey Jay, It's Nick Carraway from Chemistry. I was thinking we could meet up this weekend to work on the group project. Let me know when you're free." I stared at the message for a while before pressing send. I quickly hit send and shoved my phone in my pocket. Why was my heart beating so fast, it was just some guy, a very late, very non-type A, very handsome.... Jay Gatsby.

I am pulled out of my thoughts abruptly by a buzz in my back pocket. I pull out my phone to reveal a text from Gatsby. "I have a party tomorrow but if you come over before it starts we'll have time to get some of the project done. Does that work for you, old sport?" I sigh and walk into my last class of the day, sitting down I respond; "That should work just fine, funny enough I live right next to you. How does 10:30AM sound?"

Just as a press send and set down my phone on my desk, the screen lights up with Jay's name, it's just a thumbs up and a smiley face; what I couldn't get off my mind is why I was so nervous.